Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here. I just picked up a 2001 Ninja 500R with 1400 miles. Been riding for a week now and just wanted to say hello.

I've been riding on and off for about 8 years now. Mostly 125s and 250. Figured in need a comfortable bike that was good. This forum helped me decide to get the 500. Thank you all in advance.

I am in the Boston Area. Picked up all my saftey gear at Brockton Cycle
(http://www.brocktoncycle.com/ ) good stuff, reasonable prices.

Also dropped off the bike yesterday for a Tune up/oil/etc. @ great boston motorsport in arlington, MA.

Suresh

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
Welcome!! Enjoy the ride

·
Registered
140 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I'm right next door in Cambridge, MA at the moment. Boston Motorsports is a great place, nice bikes and nice people. What did the tune up run you? I was thinking of getting an oil change there myself. It's so much easier for me since I don't have to worry about disposing of oil.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dr. Feelgood said:
Welcome to the forum. I'm right next door in Cambridge, MA at the moment. Boston Motorsports is a great place, nice bikes and nice people. What did the tune up run you? I was thinking of getting an oil change there myself. It's so much easier for me since I don't have to worry about disposing of oil.

No idea.... I'm not really happy with them right now. The bike went in for a fall tune up on Tues. They originally said one day... well it's friday and all I keep getting is, "we are swamped, we'll call you when it is ready". I'm going to look for somewhere else for service.

I agree that the sales and parts folks are good.

Suresh

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I've never had experience with their service department and now honestly I think I just might never. Let me know if you find a good service place.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Oil change specifically, not a tune up. My friends make fun of me for building engines and all kinds of custom crap but then going to the shop for oil changes. It costs me money (not to mention hassle) to get rid of the old oil so I try to avoid it all together. For the price of the oil change I can just be lazy.

·
Registered
605 Posts
if you buy your motor oil at like checkers or something they are required to take your old oil...just take it from your oil catcher and use the spout to put it into the new oil containers you just bought...problem solved.

·
Registered
140 Posts
You guys are lucky. For some reason in CT the stores won't take back old oil and they are not required to. You have to bring it to a garage where they charge you to dispose of it. You can wait for Haz-Mat pickup but its like only twice a year....it really blows.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Dr. Feelgood said:
You guys are lucky. For some reason in CT the stores won't take back old oil and they are not required to. You have to bring it to a garage where they charge you to dispose of it. You can wait for Haz-Mat pickup but its like only twice a year....it really blows.
WOW. Apparently in Arizona the shops have to take old oil. I was told it's a state law. I take my old oil to my dealer parts counter.

I haven't tried taking any to a parts store or Wal Mart, but an oil change place may take yours for free. I think they sell it or give it to the hauler just to pick it up and they in turn sell it.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Dr. Feelgood said:
I just drop it off at AutoZone or Pepboys in Cali...

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So i finally got my bike back from Greater Boston Motorsport. Dropped it off Tues and got it back on Sat afternoon and that, only after some really harsh words to the service dept. and I'm nice guy, I hate being rude. (Note: no swearing just firm tone).

But all in all, didn't realize how smooth the 500R was until i got it back. It feels like butter and so presice and comfortable. Total cost $136.66 and they did the following:

Change oil
Replace spark plugs
Replace filter
check air valves
clean batter terminal and coat with anti-corrosive
charge battery
adjust and lube chain
check play in throttle grip and adjust
Check idle speed and adjust
Check tires and adjust pressure
Change/flush brake fluid
Change/flush coolant
Top off clutch fluid and final drive oil
saftey check nuts, bolts and fastners for tightness
check radiator fan operation
check sttering bearings and possible adjustment
visual inspection of
-fork tubes and seals
-pads (changed rear)
-rear shock
-lights
-hoses
-brake lines
Test ride (put 10 miles on the bike)
Wash

After much wait, i am happy to have it back and happy with what was done. But it still took too long imho. espc. since they had me wait a week for an appointment.

Just glad to have it back. I guess next time I'm out of town i'll drop it off for a week, now that i know how long it takes.

Suresh

PS. Sad that i have a fever and cold and can't ride...sigh :cry:

PPS. As far as oil goes. I change my car oil all the time and i usually take the remains to my local Autozone and they always take without any questions. I've also tried to help out the local small shops. They use it for heat during the winter and they usually are very appreciative. No one wants brake fluid though... that I take to the track by the case.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts