Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, just got my first bike. Picked up an '03 Ninja 250R with 628 miles. Looks brand new. Sounds clean. Paid $2500 OTD. Never road a bike before. Just done research online and decided I wanted to go with a 250 to start out. I really liked the Ninja, suits me. Saw this bike while driving by a Suzuki dealer and just had to stop. I wanna get started right. Anyone have suggestions or ideas, please let me know. I'd appreciate it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Hi RickBK,

First and foremost welcome to the bike community! :D

If I were you I would sign-up for a Basic Rider Training Course. If you're a newbie, they teach you a lot of very good stuff, if you're an experienced rider it gets a little boring. But the practice sessions are great for both! I just finished my course and they supplied the bike, helmet and gloves, I rode a 250 Ninja, which was great for me since I have a ZX-6RR Ninja. I just can't get used to those cruisers. I used my own helmet and gloves.

I would also buy the following books: Proficient Motorcycling : The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well and More Proficient Motorcycling: Mastering the Ride, both by David L. Hough GREAT READING!!

I hope this helps!

Ed

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
welcome, by the way a guy named ZX-2R is gonna give you so many tips to get your 250 up to par with a ZX6RR (not in top end, but it'll bunr up the twisties :D ) welcome to the forums adn good luck

Peter.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Excellent! Am I biased? Now you gotta post a pic.

You're getting good advice here. Take the safety course. Wear good gear. Get the manual from Kawasaki. Keep your RPM's down until you cross 1,000 miles. Change your oil and filter now.

Since this is your first bike, you need to be careful about the power on this thing. If you go over 9,000 RPM's it will give you a little surprise. It might not be a 636, it's not your Grandma's Dodge. Don't think it can't get you into trouble. Just be careful.

Grip the tank with your knees, and you will become one with the bike in the turns. Lean it way over. It can take it. Use the front brake on tight turns to make the front tire dig in, and the bike will snap right over. Get down under the wind, and tuck in your elbows.

When you stop, stick your feet WAY out. You don't want to scratch anything or crack a fairing or turn signal just because you're an idiot.

Now where's ZX-2R?
Curt

·
Registered
456 Posts
He's like Batman. Nobody knows where he is until he shows up.

Since he's not here, I'll step in and do my ZX-2R impression. Here goes . . .

Get a taller windshield . . . get a log book . . . custom windshield . . . write down everything . . . complain to Kawasaki about the 16 inch tires . . . get a taller windshield . . . customize the seat . . . (more rambling here) . . . aerodynamics . . . windshield needs to be taller . . . check the plugs . . . rear shock . . . full fairing . . . get a taller windshield . . . in the Navy blah blah . . . Kansas roads blah blah . . . Hawaii blah blah . . . rode it all over blah blah . . . got some air blah blah . . . get a taller windshield . . . Oz cycle blah blah . . . my farm . . . fill in your profile . . . the slipstream . . .

Apologies to ZX-2R in the spirit of humor. Did I miss anything?
Curt

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
OMG.......LMAO!!!!!!!! That was sooo funny, it was just like him, but less details (but whats life withoutr details?) Don't take that too seriously ZX-2R, I think its just a joke. :lol:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Number One thing to keep in mind, is to be safe, and pay attention to EVERYTHING going on around you. That's the best way to keep out of bad situations. Other than that, take it to a nearby parking lot, and just familiarize yourself with the bike. The MSF course suggested earlier is a great idea. Be safe and have fun!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts