Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new filter coming for my 79 KZ 1000 St. Will it run right without rejetting? I read in previous posts I will need to go up one size jets? Need to or can is the question. I couldnt find a replacement filter. well I could but minimun order I did not like. Got 600 miles on all. Bikes running better and better thanx to sea-foam and a lot of maint.:)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Are you going to Pods inplace of the stock air box or just a diffrent filter in the stock air box. I run a K&N air filter in a stock box and have no problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A different filter in the stock air box. Don't like the pods. Trying to keep it original as much as I can.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I dont think it will be a problem then. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. To my knowlage you only have to rejet if going to pods.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I dont think it will be a problem then. I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong. To my knowlage you only have to rejet if going to pods.
Agree, I also have been told by folks smarter than me that running a K&N filter in a stock airbox requires no re-jetting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I put the filter in last night. Big diiference in acceleration. The only problem is below 3000 rpm. Runs like crap. I figured that's telling me my pilot jet is gonna have to go up one size? Am i right? There's no adjustment if I'm reading the book right. She really goes a lot better when you get the rpm's up. Had the old filter in since I bought the bike looks to be original.

·
GHOSTRIDER
3,361 Posts
I put the filter in last night. Big diiference in acceleration. The only problem is below 3000 rpm. Runs like crap. I figured that's telling me my pilot jet is gonna have to go up one size? Am i right? There's no adjustment if I'm reading the book right. She really goes a lot better when you get the rpm's up. Had the old filter in since I bought the bike looks to be original.
You may have to re-adjust the air fuel mixture screws to allow more fuel at low to mid rpms.(Left turn is more fuel)(mine are @ 2-1/2 turns out from lightly seated with stock pilots)With the stock pipes and airbox you shouldnt need to change any jets, pilots or mains.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rerset the air screws per the book and just kept tinkering till She sounded right. Idles and takes off like a dream. Thx all. Next project is RIDING. YEAH.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts