Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well..I have been away from riding bikes now for several years. I recently had an 83 GPZ 750 handed to me. A guy our shop buys parts from asked me the other day if I ride........told him I used to, but dont own a bike anymore. He said, well I have a GPZ 750 sitting in my shed for 2 years now, your welcome to come get it, get it running, and ride it.

so I went and got it. Had it running in an hour:) Fresh fuel, new NGKs, changed the oil, it was full of fuel.

When I first fired it, the motor seemed really clackey at idle. Like the bearings were bad.........pretty noisy, but after it reved up some, and I took it down the road, at higher RPM, it doesnt sound as rough. I got it to idle at about 1000 RPMs, and now everytime it runs, it seems to run better. I put fresh 93 octane fuel in.

I dont see a need to pull the carbs apart now, I orginally thought I may have to. But heck, it seems to run pretty good, I am just going to ride the son of a gun. I dont want to start dumping $$$ into it unless 100% necessary.

It does have a Yoshimura pipe on it 4 into 1, and I doubt it was ever jetted for it. Ill have to ask him that when I talk to him again. It has 26K miles on it. He also has an 85 parts Bike nearly complete, with another engine.
He is giving that to me too. He thought if I decided to keep it for real, he wanted $400 for both Bikes, sounds like a decent deal for a running bike.

The clutch cable was starting to fetch up after a few rides, so I have let that sit with lube in it, and the starter is starting to stick after it fires.
All symptoms of sitting I know.............so we will see what happens. everything else seems pretty good on it, and it seems to ride good

glad to find these forums!
Eric

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Congrats on the bikes, that seems like a very nice deal for you. I bet running the motor with fresh oil and actually getting it all lubed back up correctlly helped a ton. I'd suggest running a little carb cleaner with your next tank of gas, just to be sure there isn't any crud in the carbs. I usually run it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip! You got a brand you like the best for these bikes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again............BTW, can you recommend, a decent place, or dealer, or online to get parts from?
I am thinking that if I keep these Bikes, I may go through the spare motor and rebuilt it, over the winter.
Most online parts stores dont seem to carry the internals, (ie bearings, pistons, rings, shims for valve adjustment etc.)

Again I appreciate the help!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the sites............well I took it out again, changed the oil one more time, with a new filter, got the clutch cable lubed up, and added some carb cleaner to the fuel.

when cold, it will fall on its face, if you twist your wrist. It gets better when it gets warm. you finally get a full first gear, then second with a longer pull, it hiccups and looses some power at about 8K, at WOT, if you let off a little the power comes back.
Ill give the carb cleaner a little time, but I think I will pull the carbs off and soak them. While I am at it, I may go ahead and jet it properly. Ill put a stage 1 kit in to match the pipe. It still has the stock airbox, and filter assy.

I have never taken these style carbs apart:

Should I get rebuild kits in addition to the jet kit, or do they probably just need a good cleaning?

Do I need to seperate all the carbs to clean and jet them? I see that if I do have to, I will need other kits, like a choke shaft kit etc.
I am hoping I can keep them together.
I see that I will have to drill for a jet kit. Any issues with shavings? Just clean them out good?
Any other tips?

Also, do any of you adjust the valves yourself? When I talked to the local dealer, you have to order shims individually :roll: at $7 a shim :shock:

So you have to measure them ahead of time, then select the size from the chart, then call them to get the different shims. Seems like there should be a more straight forward way..........

Thanks again
Eric

1 - 7 of 7 Posts