Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals! I'm new to the community and figured I'd send a shout-out to introduce myself. I'm 22, recently out of the Marines and now in college and looking to eventually purchase my first bike. I've looked around and the Vulcan 900 Custom has really caught my eye. I've read some reviews and it said it's not bad for a beginner. So I thought I'd say 'hey', and if anyone can give me and advice I'm much appreciate it! :-o

·
Registered
534 Posts
Hiya Anderson! Welcome to the forums!!! Don't own a 900 but love the 1600! Either way is a great bike :)

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Greetings Anderson. Welcome! :D

Post some pics of you and your ride when you get the chance.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Welcome!

Hey guys and gals! I'm new to the community and figured I'd send a shout-out to introduce myself. I'm 22, recently out of the Marines and now in college and looking to eventually purchase my first bike. I've looked around and the Vulcan 900 Custom has really caught my eye. I've read some reviews and it said it's not bad for a beginner. So I thought I'd say 'hey', and if anyone can give me and advice I'm much appreciate it! :-o
First of all, thank you for your service. As an ex vet and with family currently in country I appreciate your sacrifice. I have been riding for over 30 years and I currently have a 07 Custom and a 07 Daytona. While the Custom is definitely a easy ride, you still may want to get you're experience on a smaller bike.

If you are confident and have already gained some riding experience, be it street, dirt, or combat then the 900 may be fine. It definitely is not over powered in any case. Now if you asked me if you should start on something like my Daytona, then undeniably the anser would be NO.

I love both of my bikes, and use them for two entirely different purposes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Would you recommend the best time to buy a bike towards the end of winter? I'd like to wait a few months to see that my finances are steady, and hopefully when the time is right, all the pieces come together and I get a good deal on a good bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome, thanks to you too. I'm from Georgia and I just mainly want to cruise around north Georgia on some quiet sides roads. I think I'd get ran over in Atlanta. I'm always up for a challenge, if I decide to go with the 900 I'll pace myself, I'm not looking to go jackin' up 7k.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the 900 Classic. Handles great, good gas mileage and relatively trouble free. Had one recall for the ECU but no problems since. Lots of 900 riders on this site so you will get lots of feedback. My only real criticism is that is a bit sluggish while riding 2 up. It's not bad but I would prefer more power when 2 up.
Good luck.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You get my vote for the 900 classic or custom. I own a 2006 900 custom and can't say enough good thing about it. Now I "Dressin' my girl". She is getting new pipes this week. Ill post pic as I install them. Once again welcome.

Keith

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have seen some really great deals on 07 900'S here in Northern Calif. One dealer had an 07 Custom for 6700.00 and 900 LT for 7000.00, I'm willing to bet you will find good deals on 07's almost anywhere.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
The 900 Custom is my first bike as well and I love it. I had a little experience riding when I was younger and I've done fine with it. I'd recommend it whole heartedly!

·
Registered
789 Posts
Welcome and thank you for your service.

Now is a good time to buy as dealers still have 07's and the 08's are out. Plus the weather is not conductive to much riding though you may get more opportunity in Georgia than more northern areas. Up here dealerships, mid west, are very slow in the winter months.........they still have to pay the rent and light. Come March everyone is getting spring fever and floor traffic increases substantially.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome home.

I bought my 900 Custom back in September and love it! Highly recommend this as a first bike. I've been riding for 25 years and have ridden many different bikes. The 900 Custom seems to deliver a mix of ingredients that equal a fine ride. As far as the size of the engine, I hail from a time when a 750 cc bike was big. The amount of power is enough, remember, it's a cruiser. Riding 2 up hasn't been a problem either. Take a look through the forum and see some of the modifications that people are doing. You can really personalize this bike! Good luck!

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Welcome and Howdy from Texas! First let me say THANK YOU for your service.

You will have a hard time finding a better bike than the 900. Take one out for a test ride and you will see why. Plenty of power for 1 or 2 up. Just a good solid fun bike. Let us know what you get though even if you don't get a Kawa you are welcome here.

Winter/cold/rainy weather is the best time to buy a bike BTW. Not many people looking and dealers want to sell something.;)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome, appreciate it. I'm used to putting myself in harms way, but it'll be a while before I trust myself enough to have someone else's life, hanging off my back =]

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Yup, great bunch in here, even let me hang around with my little Shadow VLX. LOL

I couldn't think of a better start bike then a VN900 for most rides after owning a much smaller Shadow and testing some what larger Shadow models. Hmm, might be why I am getting a 900 too.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts