Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I have always resisted getting a quad,being a biker. But old age and an acheing back has tempted me to get an old KLF300B an 89, it is used as a work horse around our croft which is turned over to horses,and it saves a lot of hard work .
Can anyone explain how the auto clutch works,the gear lever seems to disengage the clutch when it is pressed down ( like the Triumph slickshift gearbox of the 50's ?)but how does it enga
ge via the increasing engine revs ( no I havn't bought a manual, they cost £20 )).
Cheers
57 deg north

·
Registered
628 Posts
There are actually two clutches. The primary clutch (the one connected directly to the crankshaft) is a centrifugal clutch using springs to hold clutch shoes (like brake pads) in towards the center of the shaft. Once you have enough engine revs the weight of the shoes pulls the springs out until the shoes hit an outer bell. That outer bell has a gear on it that drives the outside of the secondary clutch which is very similar to a motorcycle wet primary clutch. The secondary clutch is disengaged by the shift lever during the shifting procedure to break torque and allow the transmission drive dogs to move into the proper place. Once the spring on the shift lever returns that lever to place, the secondary clutch is re-engaged and the torque is then transmitted through the transmission.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts