Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They may be available on every street corner by now but I wanted to let all the C14 owners know where I found my larger windscreen. They are actually a Kawasaki piece.

Howell Powersports

I spoke with (Mike)

517-546-3310

It was $129.98 shipped to my door. He got it out the door within 15 minutes of me calling. They are out of Michigan and a nice bunch to deal with.

The windscreen has been my only gripe about the bike since day one. I guess it is time to quit griping!

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on now.........you can't let a $130 item keep you from owning the best sport touring bike in the world! It really is an awesome cycle. The new matching Kawasaki rear bag is on the way too.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
When I got mine, I just put a Lam lip on it. Works great and a t a fraction of the cost.
Suspicions confirmed ... you are a lippy kinda guy :biggrin:

What is a lam lip?

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Laminar Lip, ingeniously simple method to direct air where you want it without having to change the whole screen.

·
Last 007 MOM
9,231 Posts
Thanks, Tod. The picture didn't show up, but I think I get the concept.

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
Come on now.........you can't let a $130 item keep you from owning the best sport touring bike in the world! It really is an awesome cycle. The new matching Kawasaki rear bag is on the way too.
Oh yes I can. I had a deposit down on one for almost a year. After being teased forever by Kawi about the release date I went out and picked up the 'Busa. That purchase kept me - how shall we say - entertained, while I waited for the C14.

When the C14 finally made it to the showroom I was frankly disappointed in the frontal protection offered by the bikes fairings. It looked to me like the wind noise issues I had with the 'Busa were still going to be present with the C14. Once I finally had an oppertunity to ride the bike my thoughts were confirmed.

Having said this - it is an awesome bike. Butter smooth tansmission, nice ergos, and stunning looks. But it does have some short falls - such as too much wind buffetting, too much heat from the engine, and a few quality issues with bags ejecting themselves while riding (look for a recall soon on the locking mechanism).

In the end I felt that if the C14 didn't address the one main issue I had with the 'Busa (wind buffetting), then I'd just stick with the big hypersport. It may just be "my" perfect bike.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Getting an 08 model released at the end of June/ beginning of July 07 is a really early release. I don't know how anyone could expect any earlier than that. There are a bunch of 08 makes and models that still are not released.

The windscreen and the goofy tank storage were my only gripes. The windscreen is an easy fix. As far as wind protection.........it isn't a gold wing but it is way better than a ZX14 or Busa.

I have not had the heat issue but I wear full R leathers with every ride.

I really like the Busa as well. I owned and rode one for years. The C14 is def. more sport than Goldwing.

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
The "original" release date was early 2008. This was changed to Spring, and then to Summer 2008 after the factory had issues with the bike eating tires. I did not want to wait to see exactly what "Summer 2008" meant as "Summer" in Texas is a rather long season. Not to mention that "Summer" doesn't officially end until late September no matter where you are in the US. Knowing that I'd lose most of the 07 riding season if I waited I decided to buy the 'Busa, but leave the deposit in place. BTW - that deposit was placed in September of '06 for a Diablo Black model - which in the end they decided not to import into the US.

There are compromises that one must accept to ride any bike out there - C14 and 'Busa included. My main reason for wanting the C14 was to keep bugs off my face shield and the wind noise from buffetting inside my helmet. The stock configuration of the C14 doesn't do this. In my opinion the 'Busa is MUCH quieter than the C14 when it comes to wind buffetting and about the same on the bugs. BTW - the FJR didn't pass my test either...

And yes - I could have bought the bike and waited for new screens to be released, but I'm STILL waiting for a new aftermarket saddle to be released for the 650R and that ain't happening (Kawi did finally released a tall rider saddle after two years). As such, I might have had $12k tied up in a bike that didn't address my issues while I waited for a new screen. To many "ifs" in my book to go through with the purchase - so I didn't.

But - as I mentioned - every bike has compromises. Things that bug the heck out of me might be nothing in your book. As such, your perfect ride isn't likely to be the same as mine. It is a stunning bike though. If it comes out in Diablo Black next year I may take another look. By then they'll have some of the first year bugs worked out and I can look at the aftermarket pieces to see if the wind noise issue is resolved. Until then I'm enjoying the 'Busa...

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
SixFiveOh,

Sounds like the Busa is perfect for you. I really enjoy my ZX14 and C14. Now with the new windscreen in..........and on, the good life .......... just got better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
08Concours14,
I've been watching this thread for a few, but been scared as sh!t to chime in LOL
I picked my big lip windscreen up at the Kawasaki dealer here a few weeks ago for $127 out the door (even after a 3 day wait for their shipping). And I agree that it does a good job of keeping the bugs off my shoulders. A few points about that "look and feel" reminds me of the 94 Connie I used to have a few years back. Then I thought that spoiler thing looked kinda goofy sticking up in the wind. So I proceeded to cut about 4” off at the base! Now, even sucked in (fully retracted) it looks okay to me. I do get a fair amount of buffeting when riding extended (fully erect) at speed two up, but the wind and debris protection is awesome. So I just interchange the stock windscreen on my commutercycle during the weekdays and then wear the big lip windscreen for my weekend two up tours :)

P.S. Please inform the Hyaboogie pilot that I don’t think he can adjust his windscreen while in flight either :)

Later, 08LndSrk
-----o_
___O>"O

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
I do get a fair amount of buffeting when riding extended (fully erect) at speed two up, but the wind and debris protection is awesome.
I think this was the real deal killer for me. My expectations were simply too high for the bike's ability to kill the wind noise. To do the job like I want I'll likely need to go to the Goldwing.

P.S. Please inform the Hyaboogie pilot that I don’t think he can adjust his windscreen while in flight either :)
:tongue: Sure I can, all I have to do is move my butt backwards and tuck in...

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
... Knowing that I'd lose most of the 07 riding season if I waited ...
As a fellow Texan I have to wonder what the heck the "riding season" quote could possibly mean :confused:

December-Feb are my favorite touring months -about the only time I get any use out of this closet full of riding gear. And you're even further south than me :wink:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sooo true!

Hey SixFiveOh,
Only bad thing is... at that point the wind starts whistling in thru the lowers :) And I was just yanking your chain, the Busha is the Mac Daddy of all shuttle craft right now!
I sure wish I knew how to get my pics in this post...
View attachment 15492
If it worked, this is the latest greatest of the 08LndSrk (my daughter not included, she rides an F4i) :) Corbins, trunk lid and fat lip windscreen!
Thinking seriously about snagging the new Two Brothers exhaust in Titanium. That Eureka Vacuum cleaner canister has to go! And I think she needs to make more noise to be taken seriously on the street.
Hey 08Concours14, I’m not the post pirate that you think I am LOL

Later gator, 08LndSrk
-----o_
___O>“O
Keep the shiny side up on one!

Attachments

·
Full Circle Rider
1,611 Posts
As a fellow Texan I have to wonder what the heck the "riding season" quote could possibly mean :confused:

December-Feb are my favorite touring months -about the only time I get any use out of this closet full of riding gear. And you're even further south than me :wink:
My point was that I didn't want to wait until the end of the year to throw my leg over something more powerful than the 650R. We had purchased JoyRider's Mean Streak in December 06 to replace her Vulcan 500 and I wanted a new toy as well. The thought of riding the 650R another 6 to 7 months just didn't sit well - especially considering that the 650R is not comfortable for me for anything over 80 miles.

Hey SixFiveOh,
Only bad thing is... at that point the wind starts whistling in thru the lowers :) And I was just yanking your chain, the Busha is the Mac Daddy of all shuttle craft right now!
I know. I'm just having fun as well...:smile:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts