Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, not that dramatic, but I was riding this morning, and I heard a loud pop. It was so loud that I thought I had blown a tire. Well, the bike rode fine, so I just attributed it to someone else in the traffic. I stopped into Walfarts, and looked back admiringly. I noticed that there was a fog on my left side kawi driving light. Upon further inspection I noticed that the bulb exploded in the light.:shock: I think that was the "pop" I heard. First, has anyone heard of any problems with Kawi lightbar, and second, what bulb do I use to replace the broken one. I haven't opened up the light to see if the reflector is damaged or not. Any help would be sorely appreciated. Thanks ya'll. Craig

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
My 1600's light bar came with a 35 watt H3 bulb.
I couldn't find the 35 when one went out, so I bought a pair of standard 55w bulbs, BUT... only do that if you know for 100% certain than your bar is wired through a relay to the accessory power circuit. Two 55's plus the high beam will blow the 10a headlight circuit.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
uhhhhhhhh, I wired it, did I mention that I wired the lights, to the headlight low beams as the instructions stated. I think that I might have flubbed up by following the instructions. Rich, have you heard of a new lightbar's bulb exploding like that? I guess if I put another bulb in it and it explodes, I'll have think of something different. Craig

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Either low or high, it really should be wired through a relay so the headlight acts as a switch.

Never heard of one blowing up like that. If it was NEW and blew on the first use, I would suspect that someone had touched the glass, as skin oil can cause that, but other than that, the only time I've seen bulbs pop is when they are hot and hit by water.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Well, not that dramatic, but I was riding this morning, and I heard a loud pop. It was so loud that I thought I had blown a tire. Well, the bike rode fine, so I just attributed it to someone else in the traffic. I stopped into Walfarts, and looked back admiringly. I noticed that there was a fog on my left side kawi driving light. Upon further inspection I noticed that the bulb exploded in the light.:shock: I think that was the "pop" I heard. First, has anyone heard of any problems with Kawi lightbar, and second, what bulb do I use to replace the broken one. I haven't opened up the light to see if the reflector is damaged or not. Any help would be sorely appreciated. Thanks ya'll. Craig
My Cobra Light Bar came with the H3 25W bulbs, but I just bought the 35W to replace them. 25's are hard to find without ordering them. I highly doubt you could have done something wrong with the wiring to cause that. Maybe you just had a bad bulb??

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I wired my Cobra light bar as per Cobra's instructions to the low beam light wire. I have had no issues for 9 months since I put it in. I did have to replace a bulb and couldn't find the 25 watt replacements. so I went with 35s and they are doing fine, however they're a little bright for dirty rotten cagers:evil:

D

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
35W Bulb

My 1600's light bar came with a 35 watt H3 bulb.
I couldn't find the 35 when one went out, so I bought a pair of standard 55w bulbs, BUT... only do that if you know for 100% certain than your bar is wired through a relay to the accessory power circuit. Two 55's plus the high beam will blow the 10a headlight circuit.
Try your local NAPA store for the 35W bulbs...they may carry them. My local NAPA stock them.

·
jerkybear's Vulcan
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Cobra Light Bar came with the H3 25W bulbs, but I just bought the 35W to replace them. 25's are hard to find without ordering them. I highly doubt you could have done something wrong with the wiring to cause that. Maybe you just had a bad bulb??
Thanks, Pat. I bought some 55w H3 today. I'm going to look on the forum and find out how to wire them with a relay on low beams like Rich recommended. One thing I have learned on this forum is listen to people and they can help you avoid mistakes. Just have to reaim them or I'll be fighting with cagers. Thanks, guys.

·
Luv my big boy toys
1,490 Posts
Thanks, Pat. I bought some 55w H3 today. I'm going to look on the forum and find out how to wire them with a relay on low beams like Rich recommended. One thing I have learned on this forum is listen to people and they can help you avoid mistakes. Just have to reaim them or I'll be fighting with cagers. Thanks, guys.
Check out the directions at this link, it shows the relay wiring also, you can wire into the blue wire with a yellow tracer & the lights will work with the low and high beam.

Light bar wiring

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Check out the directions at this link, it shows the relay wiring also, you can wire into the blue wire with a yellow tracer & the lights will work with the low and high beam.

Light bar wiring
Perfect....
Here's a "permalink" to your post with diagram:
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/63628-light-bar.html#post949253

In this case, pin 86 would be tapped into the low beam feed wire (no switch, fuse optional, I did not use one).

Edit: You've got two terminals reversed in your diagram/description....
Pin 30 goes to the battery
87 does indeed go to the light bar. 87a, if present should be insulated.
85 and 86 are the coil connections and will go to ground and your trigger source.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts