Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Brentwood, TN
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a new Cobra lightbar and put on my 900 Classic LT yesterday. Did not want to tie it into the headlight circuit so attached it to the accessory circuit in the headlight. Service manual says this is a 10 amp circuit. I know direct circuit with a relay is probably better for starting voltage. Anyway the accessory circut is not working. Guess I'll start in the headlight connection and work my way back to the fuse box to find the problem. Could water have gotten in the headlight and blown the accessory fuse? Other ideas? If I do not find the problem I'll look at a direct circuit off the battery going through a relay off a light.

·
Brentwood, TN
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mfolks. I had seen that when considering which way to wire it in. Good description of options. Did not get a chance to look at the problem today. It was 50+ degrees and no rain here in middle of January for a change so had to ride it to work. Man we had a cold December in TN.

·
Brentwood, TN
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Found the problem with my lightbar power. Blown accessory fuse. Must have allowed the hot to touch the head light housing at some point. Anyway got it going and surprise to me the accessory circuit is hot all the time even when switch is off. Light bar came with an on/off switch but I do not want to manually turn it on and off every time I ride so guess I'm going to have to work on installing a relay in the wiring. At least its usable until I can get the relay wired in.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
The relay is the best way to go I think. What I did was use the accy hot to run the lights thru the relay. I used the running lights circuit to trigger the relay. Works great that way. And once you use those lights at night you won't ever want to ride without them ever again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.