Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all I'm new to this forum.
I don't own a Mean Streak but I'm due to purchase one soon after deciding to opt for the Meanie over a Roadstar Warrior.
I was hoping for some advice first though.
What is the best tandem seat to put on them as my wife likes to ride with me.
What recommendations are there for a aftermarket set of pipes that perform and sound good without splitting eardrums?

Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
meanie

i'm partial to mustand seats or corbin seats chris,one of these companys prolly has one that'll work for you.
pipes? well that is real subjective - i'd try to listen to several before you buy but
vance and hines work well on kawis as do cobra,samson,hard chrome but to me the vance and hines seem the quietest if you leave the baffles in-but again its real subjective as to what is too loud

good luck on your new purchase(good choice :wink: )
welcome to the forum and ride safe!! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info Guys
Well I did it :D I picked up my new '04 Mean Streak today.
Just showed my Harley riding mates and they were genuinely impressed.
I can only use a maximum of 3,000 rpm at the moment and you can tell she wants to go.
One minor dissappointment is that at around 2,500 rpms there is an anoying buzz coming from the bike. Does anyone know if this is a common complaint as it sounds like a heat shield or something.
She's sitting there with just 40kms so can't wait to run her in over the christmas break
Cheers
Chris

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

congrats chris on the new scoot :D
great choice-the meanie is the shiznit :lol:
rattles?-check for some lose bolts(heat shields,pegs,etc.)often during final assembly
some bolts work lose-never heard anyone complain about buzzing-prolly just tighten
everything up good you'll be set :wink:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks
A 04 demo I rode had the same noises so I thought it may be a common problem. Can't see anything loose though.
These engines also seem to have a noise that almost sounds like piston slap
Cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've been trying to nail down the buzz for 7 months now. I'm slowly honing in on it. I'll tell you the things I've taken care of so far:

The connectors inside the headlight housing need to be wrapped in some kind of padding to keep them from rattling against the inside of the housing.

Under the front end of the tank, mounted to the outside of the frame tubes on each side is a large electrical connector that need to be zip tied or something to keep them from rattling.

On each side of the front fender is a plastic hose guide for the brake lines. These fit loosely in the fender and rattle. The nubb of the guide on the inside of the fender I wrapped with a piece of safety wire to tighten them up.

The connectors for the ignition switch and idiot lights under the chrome plastic cover need to be zip tied to each other to prevent them from rattling.

As you're riding the bike at the specified RPMs, lift up on the left side of the fuel tank and see if the buzzing stops. This is where I'm at now, trying figure that out.

Derek

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks derek
I'll have a look at those items over the weekend.
These changes you've made has it reduced the noise at all?
To me it seems that the numberplate support and the cat convertor box could be contributing factors too.
The pipes are due to be changed in a few weeks so that may help.
It's funny as I rode an '02 demo bike (1500) and it had none of these buzzing noises.
Chris

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
hmm

weird-i ride with 2 buds that have meanies 01 and 02 and neither have had a buzz
at least on the bike anyway :lol:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi folks, it may be resonance. Every engine rattles the bike at a certain rpm. With the meanie it is around break-in rpm, 2,500 - 2,900.

In uk that is around 40mph in top and so either drop a gear or go to 50+.

Joe.

·
Registered
1 Posts
the buzz

Aussie1 said:
Thanks for the info Guys
Well I did it :D I picked up my new '04 Mean Streak today.
Just showed my Harley riding mates and they were genuinely impressed.
I can only use a maximum of 3,000 rpm at the moment and you can tell she wants to go.
One minor dissappointment is that at around 2,500 rpms there is an anoying buzz coming from the bike. Does anyone know if this is a common complaint as it sounds like a heat shield or something.
She's sitting there with just 40kms so can't wait to run her in over the christmas break
Cheers
Chris

As far as I can say and tell from my own meanie and what I've heard from others owners is that the anoying sound is from the tach/speedo. If you will notice, it will vibrate at those rpms. It's a V-twin and vibration is the way they are. I have heard that with the power command unit it will greatly reduce if not eliminate the vibes. I have one installed on my meanie but have not cranked the bike over yet as it is winter and the battery is inside. Hope this helps.
Carson

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Carson
I'd noticed that about the speedo head too and I intend to fit some temporary rubber blocks to reduce its movement and see how that goes.
Chris

·
Registered
1 Posts
Vibes/Powercommander

Hi Guys, just joined the forum, and almost immediately saw the subject I wanted an answer on.
I have a 2002 MeanStreak, also had the experience of the vibe at about 2500rpm, and went thru the same list that Trailryder posted, which alleviated the noise (headlight), but the vibe still remains. yes, it is a twin, but it would be nice to get rid of the vibe, as I tend to spend quite a bit of time at 2500rpm. Would be very interested to find out if the powercommander helps, as I would like to fit some kind of device to modify the mixture. 8)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Buzz

I just read on another site that some of the buzz was coming from the gas cap and a rubber washer was added to the existing one under the cap, hope that helps.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a brand new '02 Mean Streak. I haven't changed the pipes or done any performance mods yet, but I have changed out the stock seat for a Corbin Dual Touring saddle. It was a little pricey, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. The wife is much happier too!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts