Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I had a GS650 in college....and she put up with a lot...and got hauled around the country when I changed colleges. But she developed a gear issue and had to be put down.

The last three years now I have been running around town on a Honda Helix telling myself that it was fine...it got 65mph and would do 70mph without the windshield and down hill. That was fine...I didn't need a bike...I didn't want a bike...the scooter did what I needed...no place for a bike in my world.

So in a wild effort to compensate for my years of my 'fat man in a little coat' (6'1" 230lbs on 250cc's) I have just purchased a Vulcan 2000. Yep...why go at all if you can't go by an order of magnatude. She is an '05 with 4500 miles and green. This Irish boy could not pass up a green bike.

(I was playing the waiting game for a guy's Stratoliner since his wife was making him sell...but this one was right in my price range.)

((Ironically, I had just tried the fit of a 2000 at the dealer on that Tues and found one on Ebay that Friday. As of today all paperwork has cleared.))

A few questions to you all if you have time...

1) Any thoughts on bringing her home? [The plan so far...fly to Ohio to pick up...travel Hwy40 all the way back to middle of country to avoid interstate stupid people...maybe see some sights.]

2) I read in other threads about the whining belt...I am assuming it is safe...just annoying? If it crops up do I use that belt grease stuff?

3) Dealer says the bike is in good shape and they know I am driving it about 12 hours to get home...anything I should worry about mechanically...check out?

Anyway, so I am now back to the motorcycle world and hoping she lasts me a long time.

Ltr
Dave

·
Registered
281 Posts
Jeez, Sable... you don't do things by half measures, do ya? :lol:

It's certainly a gorgeous bike, and I can't blame you for not being able to pass it up. ( I guess what little Irish blood I have is acting up, 'cause I love the green too. )

As for getting it home... Riding it's about as good a way as any, and will certainly provide you with plenty of "getting to know you" time.

I would say you probably don't really qualify as a new rider, so no doubt know what you're getting in to. So as long as you have a cell phone, and maybe a list of bike shops you can stop at between point A and B, if needed, you should be okay. Some place to hole up and rest for an hour or three probably wouldn't be a bad idea either.

As for the bike... You're gonna need to hear from the guys that ride the V2ks regularly, to get the best input. And given that, maybe one of the Mods could move this over to the Cruiser section?

Anyway, good luck. From what I hear you should be quite happy with your new acquisition.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I don't have a whole lot of advice but welcome! The Irish in me loves the bike too (I'm half irish half blackfoot indian) makin me think I just might paint my lil bike green now :)

I can attempt some advice on what to check out before you ride but I'm more familiar w/ ol trucks & cars than I am with new bikes. I'd say the basics same a a car/truck, belt, hoses, coolant, brake fluid, the feel of your brakes, since it's coming from a dealership I would assume they gave it a tune up (oil, plugs, coil, points ect) I might make my self sound like a doofus though bc I honestly don't know a lot about new bikes.

There's a lot of great guys & gals here who know a heck of a lot more than I do I just felt like adding my 2cents :)

Good Luck and congrats on the beautiful addition!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh...maybe I did post in wrong place...after all my careful reading. LOL. Oh well doesn't seem to be a way for me to move it.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Why waltz when you can rock and roll! V2K
I think you will love it. As for me I would look forward to 12 hours alone for some quality bonding. If the dealer says shes road worthy then go for it. My name is Robbin and I welcome you to our group. Keep us posted when you two have time to get more aquanted.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Welcome, Sable. Nice ride you got. And, you do go for the gusto.

·
Registered
10,122 Posts
Welcome & gratz on your excellant selection!! She's a real beaut!! With only 4.5K miles you shouldn't have any issues at all.........except, maybe ya might wanna duct tape yer hands to the bars. :shock: She's got some giddyup!! :biggrin:

Glad to hear you're riding her home........them things are allergic to trailers ya know! And, when you get her home, we'll be needing pics & a full mile by mile account of your trip.

Ride safe! 8)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts