Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought a KLX300SM. It's my first Kawasaki and I'm impressed. It's been modified to suit my use which is daily utility transportation..

The bike has been lowered front and rear to an unsprung seat height of 30 inches, so my feet can reach the ground flat.

I installed alloy clip on bars on the tops of the fork tubes when I lowered the front 2 inches. Koubalinks were used to lower the rear.

An aftermarket exhaust woke up the engine and dropped the weight by 5 pounds. This combined with other weight saving mods lowered the curb weight to 295 pounds..

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
Welcome to the club tooter!
Nice bike and nice diet. What was total weight savings?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, :)

Stock curb weight for the SM is 304... for a reduction of 9 pounds. It was 12 pounds before adding a 3 pound rack. I'm going see if I can get the curb weight down into the 280's..

I weigh 140, so including 10 pounds of gear the total bike + rider weight is 445 pounds. Even a modestly powered motorcycle can perform well when it's not weighted down. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
It's a light bike to begin with so you have done well to shave off 12 pounds before adding the rack.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I specifically got this model because of the weight. Most new bikes are insanely heavy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2" seems rather a lot to lower the front forks, are the top yoke clamps clamping fully / correctly on the forks?
A modification to the 250KLX / SM air intake snorkel helps to increase power, the original restricts the airflow. ('m not sure if the 300 has a similar set up). On the 250, a KX 200 snorkel fits which has a larger oriface. In Indonesia those aren't available so i made one from sheet steel and it works fine..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
2" seems rather a lot to lower the front forks, are the top yoke clamps clamping fully / correctly on the forks?
A modification to the 250KLX / SM air intake snorkel helps to increase power, the original restricts the airflow. ('m not sure if the 300 has a similar set up). On the 250, a KX 200 snorkel fits which has a larger oriface. In Indonesia those aren't available so i made one from sheet steel and it works fine..
The clamps are fine.
I lowered the rear about 4 inches.
The unsprung heat height is only 30 inches.
I can't ride high bikes because I'm 5'5".
Now I can flatfoot both feet when stopped.
It makes the bike so much less tippy.. :)

Thanks for the snorkel idea. :)
I haven't got around to messing with it yet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The clamps are fine.
I lowered the rear about 4 inches.
The unsprung heat height is only 30 inches.
I can't ride high bikes because I'm 5'5".
Now I can flatfoot both feet when stopped.
It makes the bike so much less tippy.. :)

View attachment 43097

View attachment 43098

Thanks for the snorkel idea. :)
I haven't got around to messing with it yet.
On a KLX 250 forks, the top clamping 'shoulder' is 54mm (2-1/8") long, so the maximum they can be lowered without compromising safety is 20mm (3/4" approx.) Maybe the 300 top yoke clamps and fork shoulders are different? (i thought they were the same)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
On a KLX 250 forks, the top clamping 'shoulder' is 54mm (2-1/8") long, so the maximum they can be lowered without compromising safety is 20mm (3/4" approx.) Maybe the 300 top yoke clamps and fork shoulders are different? (i thought they were the same)
While a small portion of lower part of the top clamp is just slightly off of the upper shoulder, the lower clamp is on a uniform area of the fork no matter where it is clamped. There is no place for anything to possibly move.

I did the same thing on my DRZ400SM and rode it over 30,000 miles with no issues. :)

I also did the same thing on my Honda Grom and rode it over 10,000 miles with no problems.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts