Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys just picked up my dream bike and looking to bring her back to life and get aome ideas . shes a 1982 kawasaki spectre 1100 with 26k miles. Previous owner blacked it out but I plan to do something different with it. So far I've put a new clutch, new battery and i still need to change the oil and possibly habe the carbs done. I gotta get a new ignition because previous owner lost key and hacked it, I plan to put some different bars and make it into a sweet cruiser.. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.. Feel free to post pics of your spectre 1100 customs

Pics to come

So, I guess my main questions to start would be what oil I should run, the bike calls for 10w-40, should I stick with synthetic? Previous oil is in known..

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
I would use a motorcycle oil, either regular or synthetic. In milder climates or when the weather is mild to warm or hot, Shell Rotella 15W-40 or Chevron Delo can be used. These are suitable for old motorcycles as they have the needed antiwear ingredients to protect the engine and transmission. Rotella has the Japanese JASO-MA rating, but probably any other heavy duty engine oil marketed for diesel engine use can be used, such as the Chevron Delo. The cold start number of 15W-40 may not be good for winter. I use either Shell Rotella T regular in the white bottle or Chevron Delo regular in my 81 KZ650-CSR.

note: modern car oils may not have the needed antiwear additives, especially ZDDP as it has been reduced or removed to protect catalytic converters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would use a motorcycle oil, either regular or synthetic. In milder climates or when the weather is mild to warm or hot, Shell Rotella 15W-40 or Chevron Delo can be used. These are suitable for old motorcycles as they have the needed antiwear ingredients to protect the engine and transmission. Rotella has the Japanese JASO-MA rating, but probably any other heavy duty engine oil marketed for diesel engine use can be used, such as the Chevron Delo. The cold start number of 15W-40 may not be good for winter. I use either Shell Rotella T regular in the white bottle or Chevron Delo regular in my 81 KZ650-CSR.

note: modern car oils may not have the needed antiwear additives, especially ZDDP as it has been reduced or removed to protect catalytic converters.
Thanks!! Do you know what model kz1100 parts will interchange?

·
Registered
4,475 Posts
The closest matches would be the 82-83 1100 Spectre models of course & the 83 KZ1100 Ltd Shaft. The 1100 chain drive models probably share some engine parts & perhaps some other stuff. Never assume something fits: check the diagrams at Kawasak dot come or Partzilla or any other site with the oem diagrams. Note: a black part could be identical to a chrome part, but they will have a different part number because of the finish.

Whenever I need something, first thing I do is check the diagrams at Partzilla to get the part numbers & check the cross-reference to see what other models use the same part. Then I search the full part numbers on EB to see if nos is available at reasonable cost & to see what the part looks like new. Then I search by part name & various terms. different names can be used for the same part. many nos parts seem to be way overpriced nowadays IMHO. I goofed once. doh.

Z1Enterprises dot com has maintenance & other items for your motorcycle. Their pricing is as good or better than most places & you can ask questions. they'll get back to you in a couple of days or so. sometimes quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts