Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,
Well.. I did it. I bought it. I have it. I put 21 miles on it.
It will rain here for the next week.. I'll stare at it in the mean time.

I have not been on a bike in about 9 years. My last one was an 87 Honda VFR 700F2. A sportbike.

I am older, just got married, and feel the cruiser is more my speed now.

I fell in love with the look of the Mean Streak, and read every article and comment I could find on the internet (literally!).

I watched the Jerry Motorman video, and practiced some techniques tonight. I am very rusty... and need to build confidence.

My hands were VERY sore afterwards.. and my back was too.

Should I expect this to go away.. soon?

Anyway.. I look forward to having discussions with you.. I've been reading threads here for about a month now.

Take care,
-Ryan

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Ryan congrats, the meanie is a great bike it will be my next bike in a couple years. As far as the sore hands , lossen up on the death grip happens when you've been away from riding awhile plus its a new bike. the sore back probaly leaning to far forward you might need pull back risers or different bars? possibly even the seat ? just go out and ride ,relax and enjoy. Dwaine

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great choice of bikes! I recently bought a Mean Streak after not riding for 12 years! It's a great bike, very easy to ride! I too found my hands and back sore after the first few rides, but not that I have gotten more comfortable that has gone away! I did change out the stock seat for a Corbin Dual Touring Saddle. It is much more comfortable for both me and the wife!

Have fun and keep the shiney side up!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for the kind words..

I do need to loosen up on the grip..

Also.. how many of you always cover your front brake?
I think there is some debate about it. I live in a bus area, and think I should cover it, but maybe that lends to more cramping than necessary.. But, then you have the argument of losing those precious seconds of reaching for the brake when something unexpected happens.

Enjoy..
-Ryan

·
Registered
458 Posts
ryanmross said:
I do need to loosen up on the grip..

Also.. how many of you always cover your front brake?
I think there is some debate about it. I live in a bus area, and think I should cover it, but maybe that lends to more cramping than necessary..
Tension. It will go away as you get used to it.

I familiar with the area. I used to live in Algonquin not far from Randall. It's quite busy there and geting more so all the time.

I'm sure you will various opinions about covering the front brake. I usually don't unless I see potential problems. I find it difficult to cover all the time and work the throttle.

The key is to always ride defensively. Pretend like no one else can see you. If you haven't taken an MSF Basic Riders course I would advise it. Very good and you learn a lot about defensive riding. The best accessory you can buy for your new ride. If you took it years ago. Take it again, as a refresher. Well worth the money.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
WELCOME

Welcome to the FORUM! Adjust your levers, brake and clutch so that they are "perfect" for yor reach and not to far like they probably are now OVER the bar. your stiffnesnad muscles will adjust...the seat comment is a good one...expensive but well worth the comfort. Absolutely awesome bike!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I almost always cover the the brake and clutch lever. It made my hands cramp when I first started riding but if you adjust the levers to fit you as zx-2r stated then the problem will go away.

·
Registered
837 Posts
8) congrats on the new scoot..i almost walked out a new scoot rider too the other day...them meanies sure are a good lookin bike...then i remembered i have a 04' 1500 already :?

·
Registered
65 Posts
I love my Meanie.
As you relax the pains will reduce.
I hadn't ridden for 30 years so I know where you're coming from.
One of the best mods I've done were the Iso handgrips , they really transform the feel of the bike
Cheers
Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts