Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I live in the Placerville area East of Sacramento. Managed to pick up a KZ650B for a very reasonable price - did some cleaning, changed the gas, changed the oil (the bike had been sitting in a garage for a loooong time) and now I have it running - the seat cover is trashed but the foam is solid and the pan perfect. The bike is in very solid shape. 28,000 miles.
I have a couple of questions:
1. Anybody live in my area with a similar bike/knowledge of these bikes?
2. I need to adjust the idle speed as it will not idle well - and what is a bit worrying is that at very low rpm it sounds rather 'clattery' at higher rpm it is very smooth - do I need to adust or have adjusted the cam chain?
Can you adjust the idle speed easily?
3. Any good dealers in this area who know about these bikes or have parts?
4. Looking for a used manual for this bike if anyone has one spare or for sale at a low price.
5. Got a ways to go with it as I have only had it for a couple of days now but it is cleaning up well and just needs some love and basic work done on it.
Thanks,
Lee

·
Registered
2,159 Posts

That model have the shaft drive on it? All I remember about the 650 is that it was a great bike when we had them on the Military riders course, to get your base permit. Nice to have you onboard with the Forum. Give Beartooth a call Tuedsay Morning 1 800 556 3098, and ask them about a Service manual. If you have rust in your gas tank, you should run a gas filter for now until you go through the Muratic Acid/water cleansing (without the petcock) and try running some Sea Foam fuel system cleaner through the system. If you can change the oil filter sooner than later (if it is easy) then check the oil and if it gets a little dirty fast on you, then I would change it before the scheduled time, as it has been setting all this time. Lubricating the cables, all the bearings...sounds like a great bike to be bringing back on the road! Exciting!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,
This is a chain drive - I will definately take your advice and get the oil filter changed out - I have another older bike, a Moto Guzzi and this has a separate gear box with its own oil - I could not see anywhere to change any gearbox oil on this bike........is it integral with the engine oil?

Lee

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OIL

Yes it's the same oil. I like to keep the filters changed...especially if it is a spin on. With things setting for a while I would have put in a lighter weight oil to begin with to flush out anything into the filter...but you are doing fine. My bike is a vintage Dualsport Suzuki 1970...It will stay pretty much stock...and I will work up the funds to get anothe rused bike a Kawasaki. Perhaps even a new one. I like working on them, so I may end up with several. My days working, after a surgery limit me to what I can do, but my old passion for bikes has returned...If I can get the 1970 to pass inspection (easy enough now, all I need is the horn and some lamps that I ordered), then I can go on and get something else to work on and ride. Nice bike, the 650. Ride it carefully...needless to say. tires and all that will need replacing and cables will need lubes, brakes checked, bearings all lubed...a lot, but once you have it done, you KNOW what yo are riding and that the job was done right...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Check with the Bay Area Riders Forum (BARF) for local mechanics. They may be able to help you as well.
Lots of good shops in the Bay area...not to sure about Sacramento though.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

britch-is your guzzi a california special with automatic?

·
Registered
117 Posts
Welcome Lee....
Your low speed roughness is most likely from the carbs being out of sync. Those old Mikuni's are very tempermental. You can have them sync'ed at a shop or buy the sync tubes yourself. If you decide on the tubes pay the extra and get the glass ones. The glass ones are way more accurate then the cheaper plastic tubes.
Does the bike still have the original air box or did someone install separate air cleaners. If you still have the box...that's a plus.
Does the bike still have it's original 4-2 exhaust or an aftermarlet 4-1 w/header?
For now a quik and easy fix is bottom out all four of your air-fuel mixture screws. DON"T bottom them down too hard, just til you feel it stop.. Then back each one out 1.5 turns. From that point start the bike and adjust your idle to 600-800. Then adjust each air-fuel mixture screw very slowly 1/2 turn in or out til you hear the idle go UP. Try this and see if there is any improvement. But sync'ing them will help alot.
Also check your carb manifolds where they bolt up to the head. Spray alittle soapy water on them and see if your getting any bubbles. If so you have an air leak and that will cause loss of power and also cause backfiring.
There is no camchain adjustments needed. That bike has a built-in camchain tensioner.

Below is a picture I scanned of one of the 650's I owned back in 1979. I bought it from a guy in the Air Force that was getting tranfered overseas and couldn't take it with him. It was alittle small for me but I sure liked the custom work he did. First thing I removed was the V-stacks and reinstalled the factory airbox.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike is completely stock - has the original air filter box which holds a paper air filter - exhaust system is as original with original mufflers etc - actually apart from the horrible fairing which I took off everything is as original - thanks for the advice about the carbs - there is what looks like an adjustment screw/knob sitting right in the middle of the carb near the top - this this the idle adjustment?
You are probably right about the carbs being out of sync making the noise as it sounds worse just before it stalls - I dont have a manual at the moment so just cleaning it and I did get a job lot purchase from a guy via e bay for all the stuff I need - I am hoping to have the thing roadworthy for about $400 but that was what I thought about the guzzi.............
To answer the previous question mine is an original 850T just bog standard - it is fun to start this bike, thuga thuga thuga....then the KZ.....
Zzzziwewww Zzzzziw!!! I cant wait to give it a run as I recall these were plenty quick in their day! I like the older style of the bike as well. It seems well built and certainly the engineering and design from two bikes both built in the 70s is an amazing contrast.
Lee

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yeah.. The idle adjustment knob sits right in between carb 2 and 3. Kinda sticks out at an angle. Also if the bike has been sitting for a period of time you may have alot of old gas gump build up. Gas gets old and turns in to a glue like crap. Too bad you didn't live closer, I would love to tear into those carbs and set them up for you. I haven't messed with that in awhile.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts