Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I purchased a black 04 Mean Streak on Fri. 5/21/04. I have about 168 miles on her at this time. I want to do some mods but this is the first bike I've owned. I want to do the work on my own but I am afraid to do anything without consulting somone. I also do not want to pay the dealer what he wants to do some of the work. I was quoted $250 to replace the four turn signals with bullet turns. Fair price? I also would like to replace the stock grips with with Kuryakyn grips and footpegs. How difficult is this? I really want my Meanie to look good and will be adding chrome whenever I can. Please help.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

get yourself a repair manual and look at the different areas
you want to work on.lights are no big deal just disconnect and reconnect
a few wires as long as you can moutn the new ones without any trouble
some grips are easy to change,some are a pain in the butt on the throttle
side but not that difficult :wink:

i have little things like that done every time i take it in for service
just so i don't have to fool with it,and since the bike is already in service
they will usually do stuff like that cheaper than just taking it in for new grips

i just say-hey dude how bout throwing on some new grips while you got it back there :lol: - i've even got free work like that :wink:

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bikeaholic. I'll let the dealer do the grips if he has them in when I go for the 600 mile service. If I order my own grips will a dealer install them for me or is that a no no?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

every dealer is different-mine doesn't have a problem with aftermarket stuff
but i usuallly buy whatever the item is from them if its not overpriced-that way
they can't bitch to much-and like i said sometimes they will throw stuff like that
in pretty cheap or even free

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keep in mind that most aftermarket parts come with "pretty good" directions on how to install. Some, like Kuryakyn, have the instructions on their website and you can look at them before you even buy.

Try this link, it is geared toward Nomads, but the work is the same on any bike. Give Gadget an email with your questions and he will help you out... :wink:

http://www.gadgetjq.com/gadgetsfixitpage.htm

Good luck and ride with a smile your face.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts