Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everbody, I just picked up a 1985 zl900 which I have not been riding too often (no licence yet) and over the past 100K it has been a bit of a disapointment. The power seems to drop a lot, at 5000 rpm it's like it goes from a four cylinder to a sewing machine. the rpms stay up but the power disappears.I'll pull in the clutch, rev the p*ss out of it for about 3-4 seconds and it's ok for a while. What could it be - plugs, gas line, carb?? Any ideas??? It seems to be happening more and more once the engine is warm, but remains an intermitant problem. Otherwise, this bike, my 1st Kawa, kicks *ss( too bad it only holds about 6 liters) :( :D Also, does anybody have information or any ideas about the torque or horse power of this particular bike? Is it really as powerful as it feels? Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont think it could be a clutch problem it onlt fixes its self by reving up the bike and it goes away.I was thinking more like gas,fire or worse case cylinder(taps a bit )I really dont would be suprised if it was the clutch but ill check it just the same thanks

·
Registered
447 Posts
Yeah, I know it's a long shot, but that's all I can think of! If the RPM's don't drop but you have no power, it seems to me that it would be in the drive train. If it were gas then the rpm's would drop. It could be a weak spark, but like I said before I'm no expert.

Anyway, sorry if I couldn't help more! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts