Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Brendan I live in St Louis Missouri, I live at home, I work at target, and love riding. My dad and I are working on one of his old racing bikes, raced back before I was born and he has an 82 Kawasaki GPZ550. The bike has been sitting for 20+ years but is in good shape, even the paint my dad put on it has held up. Anyways we got the bike part and are in the process of rebuilding the cards, I will have to look for a rebuild kit. My dad is out of work so I am taking on most of the new parts budget. I hope to learn a lot about the bike here and its nice to meet you.

Pics of where we are at:

Proof it has been sitting..whats some good stuff to clean it but not take the paint off the carbs?

·
Registered
11,328 Posts
I got this from the www.kzrider website. This guy used Lemon Juice to clean his carbs.

Lemon Juice Carb Cleaning

If it was me, I'd pull the top covers off, pull the slides out, drop off the bottom bowls, remove pilots/mains. Then with the rest of the carbs still assembled boil them in some lemon juice. You'll need a big roaster pan, a little over a gallon of lemon juice (cooking supply stores), and an understanding wife/girlfriend cause the sh*ts gonna stink a little.

Boil them for about 15 minutes, then rinse them really well and blow them dry with compressed air (make sure all passages are clean). You'll be amazed at how clean they come in that short of a time.

I just did a set yesterday after hearing about it from a buddy who's used lemon juice on a couple dozen racks of carbs. After a couple of minutes at slow boil the lemon juice starts to foam up a little (careful not to boil over) and you can see all the sh*t just dissolving.

After boiling them for 15 minutes (might have to roll them around once to make sure you get the entire carbs) rinse them really well and blow them dry with compressed air. The carb bodies will be kinda chalky looking at this point. I used a toothbrush and PB blaster to put a little luster back into them and then put my internals back in.

I had pulled the bowls off, removed the floats, float needles and seats, jets, and air/pilot screws as well as the top covers and slides just to make sure no crap got itself wedged inside those passages.
After putting the carbs back together and bolting them up not only do they look great but the bikes running MUCH better with all the jet passages finally cleaned out.

·
guitar junkie
1,487 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good looking project you got there. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Lots of knowledgeable people here that I am sure will give you some insightful info. Just hang in there I am sure they will be around soon enough.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Welcome, Brendan!

You might try calling Beartooth Kawasaki or try THESE GUYS.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Wow, dad kept his old bike - that's soo cool.

Don't forget to check other stuff before tyring to fire it up.

Change oil immediately, and again after running it a while with seafoam or the like.

Sitting for 20+ years!!

Be sure the piston rings aren't stuck to the cylinder walls - penetrating lubricant through spark plug holes, let sit a day, carefully see if they're free.

Check/replace all cables, plugs, rubber, bearings. What else?

I'm learning on a easy one - single cylinder.

Just go slowly and carefully, you've got a nice vintage bike there.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tips guys I found the carb stuff on powersedge.com. I ran out of extra cash so I have to wait till next week to order stuff :( .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts