Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

New Member. Owner of a 500R.

3K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  michiganarft11 
#1 ·
*I posted on the main forum as well. Probably should post only here from now on?
2000 Kawasaki Ninja 500R. Just bought it the other day. Rode it a few times and god do I love it. First bike ever. Definately recommended for anyone buying a bike for the first time. It's got an aftermarket bottom section on it that covers more of the motor. Makes it look a bit more sporty IMO. Looking to do just a couple things to it. You'll see me around asking questions.

Pics work sometimes. What's a good place to host? Imagestation doesn't like some places. :p

See less See more
#9 ·
fosta22 said:
I definitely think the lower fairings make the bike look better. I went to lockhart's website but I didn;t see any fairings in silver. Also, I have a 2004 500r, what year models would be compatible? The latest year I saw was 2001 I think. Would that fit a 2004?
from 1994 till 2004 all the models are identical, everything is compatible, people just don't update their systems.

#12 ·
oops my bad freakinout, I just read your other post about the paint job on your bike, so I'm assuming you just painted it. Unbelievable by the way, I really like how your bike looks. Like I posted earlier, I just got a 2004 500r, but one thing i really don;t like about it is the ornage/black decals on it. If I decided I wanted to get rid of them by repainting the bike, do you know if they could painted right over them or should they be removed 1st? Thanks.

#13 ·
asdfgafb

Most paint jobs remove all paint before new paint is applied. Especially if those graphics aren't flush with the rest of the paint. Most are just vinyl with clear coat over them. In which case would have to be removed.
I'm getting mine repainted because some of the parts are a different shade of blue. I plan on doing all the prep work myself and bringing it to a shop. Much cheaper that way.

#14 ·
In order for you to have it repainted just the shine has to be removed from the original. I used 320 wet/dry sandpaper, Freakinout used 400 grit, i wouldn't go lower than 320. It depends on the shop you take it to. I advise going down to the shop and talking to the guys down there, they'll be the most helpful. All decals have to be removed, and they are the biggest pain in the a**. I used a razor blade and some 99% rubbing alcohol to get mine off. Not fun. :x

#17 ·
asvae

Only if it's on top of the clear coat. You can easily tell if it is or not. If it's under, well, technically you can but you have to sand off all the clear coat first and thus leaving your paint looking like crap. :)

#19 ·
When I removed the vinyl lettering from my car, the adhesive was a pain to remove, but I used my Meguire's 3 step wax system, it seemed to help a lot in removing the adhesive. Also, try automotive Goo-Gone

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.