Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, new to these forums. Thought i'd introduce myself. I'm Jay, 26, took the MSF Motorcycle Safety Course a month ago and got my license. Haven't ridden street bikes before so I'm completely new to this. Owned a few mustangs and always was into cars but sold them all and looking to get into bikes now.

Anyway tomorrow my friend is selling me his 2008 Kawi ZZR600 with 2k miles for $3,800 so it'll be my first bike to learn on. Bike is mint, he just bought it and never had time to ride it and now needs to sell it because of $$$ problems. Perhaps not the BEST 1st bike but I'll be taking it easy and hope to collect and share info with the other users here.

Maybe i'll post some pics next weekend if I have the time, although I'm sure you all know what the bike looks like =)

PICS POSTED BELOW

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Welcome to the forum, the ZZR600 is no slouch, and should be treated with the utmost respect. However, if you have your wits about you, and use good common sense, judgement, and practice what you have learned at the MSF course.....their is no reason it can't be a great bike to learn on.

Good luck, and gear up.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Welcome, Jay. And just because we have seen other 600's does NOT mean we have seen yours. So, post it up fella, or face the consequences.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey thanks guys. While i've raced all of my mustangs at the track I have no desire to be a speed demon on two wheels ironically. I'm more worried about the other cars on the road than myself to be honest. But so is everyone on a bike I'm sure. I'm in northern NJ and anyone else here knows what kind of retarded drivers there are out there.

Only really looking to drive it on the weekends (probably not now that winter is around the corner though) and looking to learn on it. Definitely will take it quite easy for a while. Dont plan on hitting the highway until I have atleast about 500miles of road practice in.

I'm sure the ZZR600 is a lot more than "no slouch"....the only street bikes i've ever ridden were the like 70s-80s Suzuki GSX 150 or 250s that the MSF rider course had. So a modern 600 will feel like a rocket im sure. But thats ok.

RIDERS INSURANCE quoted me at $900 for the year full coverage. Not that bad of a price I suppose for a new rider. What are some of you guys my age paying for your bikes?

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Hey thanks guys. While i've raced all of my mustangs at the track I have no desire to be a speed demon on two wheels ironically. I'm more worried about the other cars on the road than myself to be honest. But so is everyone on a bike I'm sure. I'm in northern NJ and anyone else here knows what kind of retarded drivers there are out there.

Only really looking to drive it on the weekends (probably not now that winter is around the corner though) and looking to learn on it. Definitely will take it quite easy for a while. Dont plan on hitting the highway until I have atleast about 500miles of road practice in.

I'm sure the ZZR600 is a lot more than "no slouch"....the only street bikes i've ever ridden were the like 70s-80s Suzuki GSX 150 or 250s that the MSF rider course had. So a modern 600 will feel like a rocket im sure. But thats ok.

RIDERS INSURANCE quoted me at $900 for the year full coverage. Not that bad of a price I suppose for a new rider. What are some of you guys my age paying for your bikes?
Ya, I drive MUCH faster in my cars than on the bike.

Take care, wear your gear, and POST SOME PICS!!! And welcome to the asylum!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here are some pics.

I haven't fully read through the owners manual yet. And haven't driven the bike. Still waiting to get it registered and inspected. But its insured now.
Anyway, anyone mind telling me real fast what im looking at in those last 2 pics?

the last pic is on the right side of the bike, looks like the clutch or engine case with a view port?
Other pic (2nd to last) is on the left side, looks like a washer bottle but obviously not.

Attachments

·
Registered
131 Posts
the ZZR is quite the high performance bike for a beginner.
It's probably easier to ride on the freeways than on city streets or parking lots, for a beginner, as you might not have mastered the clutch and brakes yet. It's a pretty light bike though, so it will be easier to keep from dropping it if you stop wrong.
Anyone can buy whatever bike they want, so just try not to exceed your abilities and wear all the gear all the time.

As far as the pics the last one is of the clutch cover, and you can see the clutch cable attaches there. Make sure the whole cable gets lubed once in a while.

The next to last pic looks like you're talking about what appears to be the coolant reservoir, but a ZZR expert will confirm that.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The viewport is how you check your oil. You will get used to holding the bike straight up and down while checking it, although a rear stand will help that out immensely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The viewport is how you check your oil. You will get used to holding the bike straight up and down while checking it, although a rear stand will help that out immensely.
I figured that, but it looks pretty low haha where is it supposed to be? halfway filled in the port?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Usually, but am not sure for your particular bike. Would make the most sense, how else could we tell if it was over/underfilled? I'm gonna make that an definite yes.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Just be sure that you wait to check the oil until all the oil has drained back down if you just turned the engine off. Also as already mentioned have the bike on level ground and hold it in the upright position just like you were riding it. If you check/add oil while it's on the side stand you will probably over fill it.

·
Tinker Tinker Tinker
44 Posts
Hello everyone, I'm also new to the forum and new to riding. I purchased my first bike about a month ago. A 1996 Vulcan 800, for $2,400. Finding out bit by bit that the previous owner was a real tinkerer, but not much of a mechanic. Little things like missig exhaust gaskets! and aftermarket pipes that were never meant to fit on the bike (with a great sound, but major loss of power) etc. I will be on here quite a bit soliciting advice and reading through posts trying to pick the bike back up. Any advice experienced riders can provide concerning exhaust, intake, paint and backfire will be greatly appreciated! Thanks much!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts