Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Route 66 Question.

I will be heading onto the western slope of Colorado next week, and I am leaning toward Tucumcari then Santa Fe to Pagosa Springs, Creede, Lake City to Hwy 50 and then west to the dam (Hwy 92).

Route 66 runs through Tucumcari, but on the map it kinda/sorta disappears. Does it run alongside I-40, or did I-40 simply replace it?

Also, should I turn north on 84 or just stay and turn north on 285? Any advantages?

Thanks for any input.

Mike
OldDog

·
Premium Member
4,749 Posts
Rt 66 disappears under 40 until you get to Moriarity. 84 will get you to Las Vegas and it's a lot prettier ride from there up through Taos and west on 64, but it'll add at least a 1/2 day to the ride.

·
At home wherever I land
135 Posts
x2 on Jake's response. 84 is a great scenic ride with sparse traffic, and the road is usually in pretty good condition. It would be a half-day well spent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
try a detour and go through Ruidoso, Cloudcroft, Linclon National forest. You may not even want to go any further

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No, my daughter and grandkids (ages 3 and 1) plus my wife are waiting on the western slope of Colorado, near Crawford, so that will be my destination. She is flying up Wednesday.

Thanks. I will check into these and see what is along the way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts