Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a new 04 klx110 on Saturday. It will be a play bike for me to chase my son around on his fifty until he grows into it. I'm going to do a few mods to it, but nothing too extreme. :twisted:

The bike is a blast to ride. It hauls me around pretty easily. Also, there are nearly as many mods for the 110's as there are for the xr/crf50's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought I would post an update on my, uh I mean our klx110. This is one fun little bike. It moves pretty quick for a small bike. I opened up the header pipe a little already. I also ordered a airbox removal kit and a larger main and pilot jet from two brothers racing. Next, I plan on upgrading the exhaust to an aftermarket system, probably the FMF Power Core IV.
Eventually, I would like to upgrade the suspension with kx60 forks and a new swingarm/shock combo.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
theroyz71 said:
I just got a new 04 klx110 on Saturday. It will be a play bike for me to chase my son around on his fifty until he grows into it.
I'm thinking about the same thing. How does that KLX110 feel under you? Does it feel too short, or do the tires seem too small?

I have a Kawasaki Ninja 250 street bike. A few weeks ago I was at the dealer picking up a new sprocket when my son noticed the Honda CRF50F's. They were $999 (MSRP $1,199) and very tempting. So it got us interested in the dirt bike scene. It looks like a lot of fun. I noticed that the Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki 50cc bikes are almost identical feature-wise, but the Honda is different in these ways:
     1. The Honda is a four stroke engine, whereas the other three have two stroke engines.
     2. The Honda has a 3-speed transmission, but the other three have single speed transmissions. All four have no clutch.
     3. The Honda is two inches taller in the seat and 20 pounds heavier.
     4. The Honda is $100 higher MSRP, but I think they're all about the same in selling price.
Other than this they all look the same to me. The Honda looks a lot better than the others to me. Am I overlooking anything?

I'm thinking about buying the CRF50F for my son, and getting something like a CRF100F for me. I tried to find maximum weight ratings or recommended rider ages or sizes for the bikes, but I've come up empty. The KLX110 is the smallest bike that Kawasaki seems to recommend for adults, and the CRF100F is the smallest that Honda seems to recommend for adults. I might be able to get away with something smaller, like the Honda CRF80F. What do you guys think? I do like that the KLX110 is $600 cheaper than the CRF100F, but it's a 3-speed semi-auto instead of a 5-speed manual, and it has 14" and 12" tires instead of 19" and 16". Plus, it's 26" in the seat instead of 31. So I think I'll more likely go with the Honda CRF100F, or possibly the CRF80F.
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Curt said:
theroyz71 said:
I just got a new 04 klx110 on Saturday. It will be a play bike for me to chase my son around on his fifty until he grows into it.
I'm thinking about the same thing. How does that KLX110 feel under you? Does it feel too short, or do the tires seem too small?

I have a Kawasaki Ninja 250 street bike. A few weeks ago I was at the dealer picking up a new sprocket when my son noticed the Honda CRF50F's. They were $999 (MSRP $1,199) and very tempting. So it got us interested in the dirt bike scene. It looks like a lot of fun. I noticed that the Kawasaki, Yamaha, and Suzuki 50cc bikes are almost identical feature-wise, but the Honda is different in these ways:
     1. The Honda is a four stroke engine, whereas the other three have two stroke engines.
     2. The Honda has a 3-speed transmission, but the other three have single speed transmissions. All four have no clutch.
     3. The Honda is two inches taller in the seat and 20 pounds heavier.
     4. The Honda is $100 higher MSRP, but I think they're all about the same in selling price.
Other than this they all look the same to me. The Honda looks a lot better than the others to me. Am I overlooking anything?

I'm thinking about buying the CRF50F for my son, and getting something like a CRF100F for me. I tried to find maximum weight ratings or recommended rider ages or sizes for the bikes, but I've come up empty. The KLX110 is the smallest bike that Kawasaki seems to recommend for adults, and the CRF100F is the smallest that Honda seems to recommend for adults. I might be able to get away with something smaller, like the Honda CRF80F. What do you guys think? I do like that the KLX110 is $600 cheaper than the CRF100F, but it's a 3-speed semi-auto instead of a 5-speed manual, and it has 14" and 12" tires instead of 19" and 16". Plus, it's 26" in the seat instead of 31. So I think I'll more likely go with the Honda CRF100F, or possibly the CRF80F.
Curt
Curt,
The Honda CRF50F is a great bike and there is a HUGE aftermarket for them. There is practically no aftermarket for the other 50's. They even have adult classes racing them. As far as the CRF100F vs the KLX110, I love my 110. it is a blast. Sure I'm too big for it, but that's part of the fun. There is a pretty big aftermarket following for these bikes as well.

If I had it to do over, I would have bought the CRF50F for my son. Actually, I may still. He wants one with 3 gears like daddy's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
theroyz71 said:
. . . They even have adult classes racing them. . .
Well I'll be a monkey's uncle. I had no idea. A little internet searching led me to frame kits and suspension kits so the CRF50F can hold an adult. That is so cool. Wierd, but cool. For you guys that want to do mods, go ahead and knock yourself out.

It would be interesting to buy a pair of 50cc bikes and watch my son beat me every time (because of our weight difference), but the frame and suspension mods would cost more than just buying the CRF100F stock.

The only mod I've thought about is a speedometer/odometer. It would be fun to see how fast we're going and how far we've gone. I'm sure I don't need more power. My street bike is a 250 after all, and that thing has more punch than I ever need. I really like small bikes.
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
I was thinking that an 80cc or 100cc bike would easily keep up with my son on a 50cc bike, but now I'm having second thoughts. I just did some calculations, and realized that me on a 100cc bike could be twice the weight of my son on a 50cc bike. So if the 100cc bike has twice the horsepower, then we're dead even in power to weight ratio.

Does anyone know if a 100cc bike has twice the horsepower of a 50cc bike? I realize that rider skill affects this more than horsepower, but I'm a math guy.
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
The CRF/Xr are awesome bikes with tons of mods. If you're going to get a bike for your son deifinatley go for the CRF/XR. As for you, I don't think you'd be very happy in the long run with 100cc four-stroke bike. If you want a good bike and you're serious about getting into dirtbikes go for a:
CRF230- http://powersports.honda.com/motorcycles/off-road/model.asp?ModelName=CRF230F&ModelYear=2004&ModelId=CRF230F4&bhcp=1

KDX200- http://www.kawasaki.com/index2.asp

But this is if your going to be riding around on trails. If your just going to be cruisin with your son you can get whatever you want but you'll still have more fun on a bigger bike. And I'm sure that you're not going to be able to just ride around a lttle bit. As soon as you start to ride you'll be hooked and be itching for a bigger bike.

Thats just my opinion but I don't know you. If you want me to help you out some more tell me your age, height, weight, budget and what you'll be doing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
I haven't driven any of these bikes yet, so I'm no expert. I'm constantly comparing everything to my street bike: a Kawasaki Ninja 250. It has plenty (and I mean plenty) of power, it's 29.3 inches in the seat, and it weighs 304 lbs dry. I can't imagine a dirt bike needing even half that much power. But I don't want the seat much higher, and I'd really like a dirt bike to be very light.

I'm going to look at a used XR80 later today. I really want to see if it is realistic for me to ride it. I'm 5'10" and 130 lbs sopping wet. If the 80 is okay for me, I would prefer that over the 100, since that way my son can grow into it sooner. How old is a kid when he's ready to move from a semi-auto 50 to a manual 5-speed 80 that is also 7 inches taller and 50 lbs heavier?

But then again, as you said, I may be more comfortable on a bigger bike. I really don't see myself getting into serious dirt biking. But you may be right that I may get on a trail and decide I love it too much to be riding around on a small bike.
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
You can't really compare a street bike to a dirtbike. Ask the dealer what they think. I'm 13, 125 lbs. and 5'5" and I ride a Kawasaki KX85 wich is a little taller then a XR100 but much much more powerful because its a two-stroke. I'm actually too big for it, I should probably be on a 125 two-stroke but I like the power. A 125 two-stroke would probably be good for you size wise but it has a lot of power and is an mx bike. In my opinion I think you should get an older dirtbike for real cheap and get yor son a xr/crf50. This way you will know what you need. The crf230 will suit you well but its a little more pricy then that 50. Don't be afraid of the power. A 230 doesn't have that much power well at least not uncontrollable power because its a 4-stroke trail bike. You'd definately be able to handle that. They make a 500cc two-strokes so don't think that its too much power.

How old tall and heavy is you son because a TT-R125l is something else you may want to consider if your going to get a small bike for your self.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Oh, boy am I humbled now. I'm taking advice from a 13 year old kid. I new this day would come sometime. I just wish it wasn't today. Oh, well, I guess it's just my time.

I'm not much bigger than you. I'm 5'10" and 130 lbs. I definitely like the idea of getting a used bike for myself. I'll probably get a new one for my son, since I haven't seen many 50's that are selling for less that $1,000 (due to all the mods). I should measure my son. He's with his mother for the weekend.
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Curt said:
Oh, boy am I humbled now. I'm taking advice from a 13 year old kid. I new this day would come sometime. I just wish it wasn't today. Oh, well, I guess it's just my time.

I'm not much bigger than you. I'm 5'10" and 130 lbs. I definitely like the idea of getting a used bike for myself. I'll probably get a new one for my son, since I haven't seen many 50's that are selling for less that $1,000 (due to all the mods). I should measure my son. He's with his mother for the weekend.
Curt
14 in April. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
456 Posts
Okay, I just measured us. My son has a 22 inch inseam, and I am 34.5 inches. He is 46 inches tall, and I'm 5'10". I haven't grown an inch in the last 26 years.

On my street bike, the saddle is 29.3 inches. But I've noticed that many of the bigger dirt bikes have seat heights in the 36 to 38 inch range. I doubt that many riders have inseams that big, so is it normal for a rider to ride a dirt bike that is bigger than he can straddle? Or does everyone just stand on tiptoes or lean to one side?

I saw that your KX85 has a seat height of 33.1 inches, and you said you're too big for it. What's your inseam?
Curt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Curt said:
Okay, I just measured us. My son has a 22 inch inseam, and I am 34.5 inches. He is 46 inches tall, and I'm 5'10".
Curt
Curt,
I would take your son down to the dealer and let him sit on the crf50f and the crf70f. At 46" tall he may be big enough for the 70. As for you, what kind of riding will you do? If it is just around the yard chasing your son, then any of the minis will do. If you plan on riding mx or trails then you will want something with some suspension. For now, my little klx110 goes as fast as I want to go in the dirt. With a few mods to the motor and suspension, it would make a great mini cross racer. Afterall, James "Bubba" Stewart races one :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
My inseam is like 29-30 in. I think. My kx85 isn't really too small for me. I mostly trail ride so its fine for me. But if I did competitive racing than I would probably need a 125. Keep in mind that the suspension will sink in a few inches when you sit.
I started out on a Yamaha TT-R125(mellow four-stroke) which you should take into consideration. Its still too small for you but I've seen some grown men ride them. There is a pretty big aftermarket for those things too. Plus they come in the L model and the LE model. The TT-R125L has larger wheels and the LE has larger wheels and an electric start. Check out all the parts you could get for it: http://www.bbrmotorsports.com/Products/Products.htm
You could find a nice one for 1200 or less. I sold my 2000 for $1000.
This way you could give it to your son when hes ready. How old is he actually?

If I were you ,though, I'd get a used CR, YZ, KX, or RM 125. One of these bikes would last you a while. They have plenty of power. You'll definately be able to handle that because you know how to use the clutch and all. Just look for an early 90s model or something and you'll be pretty happy with it.

Or you could get a XR200, TTR225(goog bike buts its really really ugly in my opinion) or KDX200 or 220 which are very good trails bikes. You could also get one of these used for a good price. Just don't get a bike too new because you never know if you need a bigger or smaller bike or if you don't even like the sport(which is extremely rare!). Your son is garenteed to like it trust me.

Just look in your local newspaper or cycletrader and find something cheap that fits you well and runs good. Then go from there.

Just a few questions:
How old is you son?
Where are you located?
Whats your budget?
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top