Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all! I had a little Honda XL 125 in high school for about a year but haven't ridden since. I've finally given in to the urge that has been biting at me and bought an 89 Vulcan 750. It just had a tune up and was driven by a friend of mine from San Francisco over to Berkeley - about 15 miles and ran like a champ. Now it won't start on me. And now the battery is drained. I'll figure it out in time....

But first of all - is the only way to lift the seat to unscrew the bolts that are in the little storage compartment behind the seat? That will be the first issue... the key fits the ignition, gas, and helmet locks, but not that compartment. Do I have to get in there to get the seat up to get the battery out to charge it?

Thanks and look forward to the ride.....

Howard

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
addition by original poster

And by the way, I'm going to take it slow and safe. No riding at all until have good gear (bright yellow helmet, good jacket / pants / shoes with all the armour) and done a few afternoons with a good (safe) friend in the local parking lot. Also signed up for MSF course and won't be doing much riding until after that. Also bought and am reading "Proficient Motorcycling." Riding only during day and safe conditions for first months and possibly longer, etc....

Essentially - I know a 750 is large, but I have a year of experience (although a long time ago) on a small bike and am doing ALL the education / safety possible, so no lectures necessary. Input / comments / suggestions are MORE than appreciated.

Cheers.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I don't know the answer to your seat ? but just wanted to welcome you to the forum. keep the rubber side down :)

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Vulvan 750

I had a 2002 750, great bike, until I just bought a 2003 Mean Streak. you do need to remove bolts(2) to get to the battery. I bought the Battery Tender( great item by the way) leads and brought them out the right side. Also, I would highly recommend a maintenance free sealed battery if you don't have one already. Grounding is critical on this bike, check for anything that might be loose. On the lock, if you can't find the key, Kawi does sell a replacement, about $49. The lock does tend to vibrate and sometime comes loose. The alternative is one of the mail box locks from the local hardware store. If yours was replaced previously, hte keys won't match. Good choice on the MSF class, it will definitely help you, now and in the future.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Howard,

Welcome to the forum!!!!!!! Nice looking bike you got there!!!!!!!

Heather

1 - 6 of 6 Posts