Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings fellow riders. Just picked up my first bike today... an 09 Vulcan 900 Custom. I got my license last fall after taking the MSF course right at the end of the riding season here in MN. Spring came along and I haven't touched a bike since last Autumn.

I wanted to start out with a Yamaha VStar 250 but after several of my friends and family who ride said I should get the Vulcan 900 or a Honda 750 to start out with instead... I caved in and picked up my brand new 09 Vulcan 900 Custom today and road it home.

Got the bike home and pretty much spent my afternoon riding the neighborhood road and visited the local HS parking lot all day. Getting the hang of the weight of a 900cc compare to a 250cc which are used in my MSF course.

Looking forward to learn from all of you.

Thanks,

Vic

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
Welcome, Vic! And let me be the first to say that we really like pics around here!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Opps, here it is:

Fresh off the show floor getting prepare to be taken home.

My 5 yrs old wanted to take a pix with the bike LOL!

Posing with the ride before gearing up.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Beautiful bike! Always liked the look of the 900 Custom.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ozyran440, thx... i was debating between the classic or the custom... finally the sporting side of me took over and i settle with the custom look.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
Nice bike. I also started on a 900. It's great for that purpose. I found it worlds better than the MSF 250 due to it's larger size (I'm pretty big) and less twitchy throttle response.

It's heavier, though. Remember the drills. I'm finding the one I have to do deliberately is the "Keep your head up and look through the turn" thing. It makes 1000% difference and it's easy to get sloppy on.

Still, sharp bike, cute kid.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the welcome again everyone. Just an update to my ride... did my first oil change at 700+ miles. The bike's almost at 1000 mile mark as of this writing.

I couldn't leave stock alone... so this past weekend, drove an hour north to Dennis Kirk (Rush City, MN) and spent some $$$$$. Got myself a Mustang vintage single piece seat plus all things Cobra engine guard, saddle bag guard, sissybar back rest for the miss and a luggage rack for the sissybar. Now I'm waiting for my next pay check to pick up a Memphis Big Shot windshield and the no tools trigger lock gears for the shield. Maybe next season I'll look at an air kit and Cobra 2-1 exhaust.

Now the bike looks different and bulky... I'll take pix and post up soon.

The Mustang seat install was a headaches for a bit... after a few trial and error... I was able to put several spacers to settle the seat down on lock.

·
Z1 CafeRacer
8 Posts
Great bike. 900 Custom is already the icon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct4GB9bFGww

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
the before and after pix... there isn't much to look at except for the small additional add on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thx all! the riding season has started for about 2 months now and i've met so many bikers along the way. one thing i notice is that all bikers got a story to share... love hearing them out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts