Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey im new to these forums whats up everyone :D

i got a question, i just got my motorcycle permit and am trying to get in a msf class as soon as i can and have decided on 2 bikes for me to get. one is a 2004 Suzuki VStrom 650 and the other is a 2005 Kawasak Vulcan 500 LTD. i have no past motorcycel experience but am a very quick learner and have a lot of skill in these types of things... I dont think either one would be too powerful i just need some help on why i should or shouldnt get the Vulcan, since at my dealer it is about 1000 cheaper... thxi

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Hi, VStrom, and welcome to the forum. I take it from your name that you are leaning toward the Suzuki. :) I've only owned one Suzi and it was a fine machine. But I prefer Kawasaki nowadays. I would definetily suggest you check the reviews on these two bikes in the cycle magazines, most are available online. Just google on "(manufacturer bike name) review".

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
yes, welcome to the board. I think by asking the question here your mostly going to get a biased reply. Most of us here ride Kawa's out of choice and so.....I say go Vulcan... ha ha :lol:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Strom, you might consider something a bit bigger. Everyone I know who's gone with 650cc or smaller for their first bike wants a bit more power once they get comfortable. It's just wound out at highway speeds. My 800 is the same, but that's stock and there's pipes and an air filter/jets in my future. Good luck. Love my Kaw.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
pockets, a nice young lady working at a coffee stand in the lobby of the Lloyd tower in Portland once told me that Eugene is the hippy capital of the world, is that true?

·
Registered
7 Posts
3 things

Sorry if I am telling you stuff you already know.

1. I would say sit on the two bikes a lot, and see which one is most comfortable for you. If there is a big difference in comfort then considering a $1000 price difference is being penny wise and pound foolish.

2. The seat for the LTD looks the same as the seat for the 800. If they are the same seats, keep in mind that you are going to need to drop about $400 to replace the seat and save yourself a lot of pain.

3. I just got a Vulcan 800 after about 10 years of not riding. I was amazed at how easy the bike is to ride. I weigh 220lbs, and have no problems with the power of the bike. In 3 or 4 years, I'm going to want something bigger though...

Have fun with your new bike!

Nate

·
Registered
244 Posts
Eugene definitely is a throwback town. I'd say about 20 years behind the times. Fortunately, no one is walking around in parachute pants and zippered jackets and legwarmers.

... not that Ptown is exactly on the cutting edge.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
The 500 has plenty of power, you will not be dissapointed with it. I sat on both the 800 and 500 and could not tell much difference in rider space. The 500 can out accelerate the 800, but the 800 is a V-twin and has the V-twin rumble where the 500 sounds more like a sports car. I have found the 500 to be very comfortable on long rides and the 6 speed trans makes it a very nice little cruiser, and it handles great at low speeds.

bluestringer

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd go with the 500. My first bike was a 1990 Vulcan 500, fast enough and very forgiving. The engines are great because they come out of the EX 500 (or the Ninja 500R)

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I own an 800A. I absolutely love it. I'm a 5'5" woman, and the bike is perfect for me. MUCH faster and more powerful than my son's 750 Shadow, and a lot more comfortable than my husband's BMW F650GS. I have custom pipes on it, and love the way it sounds and rides.

·
Registered
694 Posts
jukief said:
I own an 800A. I absolutely love it. I'm a 5'5" woman, and the bike is perfect for me. MUCH faster and more powerful than my son's 750 Shadow, and a lot more comfortable than my husband's BMW F650GS. I have custom pipes on it, and love the way it sounds and rides.
I have a 2003 800A with Vance & Hines pipes, carb been jetted. I bought it almost 3 monthe ago with only 600+ miles on it. I'm 6'1" about 220, even with my size i think the 800 has good power.

Juikief ..the 800 must fly with you on it! I have a friend with a Shadow 1100, my 800 will stay with him at least up to 80mph, I backed off, as I only had 1000 miles on the bike at the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts