Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In what can only be described as an intense bout of temporary insanity, I went and bought a motorcycle last night. I've never owned one before and the last and only experience riding a motorbike was in grade 8 on a CR80.

The bike is a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650 SR. And it has a whopping 4000 miles on it.

All original. Showroom condition. One owner, and stored inside.

It came with Shoei hard bags and a windshield installed. I went to see (and the good seller let me test ride this bike knowing my history and experience) and there is not a spec of rust on it. Not even on the underside of the kickstand or exhaust. The chrome headers have no discoloration anywhere. The rubber is still soft and supple after 25 years of basically non-use. It's a pretty amazing find.

I paid $1375 US which is a little over book value maybe, but I think given its museum-like condition and accessories, it was a good deal. It had floorboards installed which I will remove until I take a longer trip. Also comes with original owners manual, and factory service manual.

The previous owner also took the time to put a wrap of foam around any wires that came in contact with metal under the seat...

So, Just wanted to say hi and introduce you to the bike and myself since I'll be hiding out on here and probably psting questions from time to time.

Like this one to open it up: Does anyone know what SR stands for in KZ650 SR D1? The D1 is a series denominator as I understand it so this is an early model?

Cheers,
Blake

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome!!

that is a amazing find!! that bike looks new :shock:
smart move snatching that one up - the hard bags are awesome
good luck with it!!

ride safe!

·
Registered
191 Posts
sweet deal,
The SR stands for sweet ride :D , really it stands for Stateside Replica of all things. Thats was kawasakis idea of a choppered out C3 model. It was basically more chrome in the end i believe. since i was born in 81 i really couldnt tell you the whole story :wink: It had a painted rear fender in place of the C models tail piece. a few other things. 'fat' 16inch rear rim. I think the us model had dual disc up front. over seas they had singledisc and i think drum rear. again im not 100% on all of this just what ive picked up over time. i know we got the red version. england only saw a purple version:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like we scored a lucky break then! Purple isn't my favourite color and I love the red.

I think I lucked in with this find - 2 discs up front, single disc in the rear, beautiful chrome headers and such low mileage, the engine barely got broken in, stretched out over a 25 year lifespan. I'm going to run her easy for a while then really let her stretch her legs.

Guess I should start thinking about a suitable name.

And thanks for the input and good words. One shouldn't need compliments and acceptance, but it's nice when you get them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts