Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what's up guys? I'm about to buy my first ever bike, and I've got a few questions. I'm leaning towards getting a Mean Streak, and I was wondering if this would be an OK starter bike for me, or if it would be too much for someone with such little experience. Plus, I know this is a Kawasaki forum, so it's kinda slanted, but for u meanie owners, what makes this bike stand out more than say, a Yamaha V-Star Warrior. Thanks guys, can't wait to start riding.....
:D

·
Registered
487 Posts
Take the msf course before you decide to by any bike.
You may discover you don't like to ride or are not capable of riding, or you might do really good.
Anyways it will give you the insight on what type of bike you would feel comfortable with and what you may be able to handle.
As far as what's better about the meanie over the warrior, it would be the handling. I've ridden several bikes in my many years of riding and the meanie is the best handling cruiser I've ever ridden.

Also welcome to the forum :wink:

·
Registered
741 Posts
I would have to second vaporgas2000's advice. Take a MSF beginner course before buying any bike. The courses furnish the bikes (often Honda Rebels) so you don't worry about dropping the bike, I'd think twice about buying a first bike the size of the M/S. I had ridden dirt bikes for over 30 years before buying my M/S but it was a whole different learning experience as I soon found out... even after taking the course.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, what's an MSF course? I have a bit of experience riding my friends' bikes, and I know I love riding, so I really just don't want to get something I'm going to be bored with after a few months. I'm thinking about buying an '86 honda for a few hundred bucks to get used to a cruiser b4 I upgrade up to what I really want.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Futurerider said:
Thanks guys, what's an MSF course? I have a bit of experience riding my friends' bikes, and I know I love riding, so I really just don't want to get something I'm going to be bored with after a few months. I'm thinking about buying an '86 honda for a few hundred bucks to get used to a cruiser b4 I upgrade up to what I really want.
MSF is the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. You can log onto their website for locations of courses in your area.

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
If you were learning to fly, you wouldn't start out in an F-14. You need something akin to a Cesna.

I definitely recommend the 86 Honda or some sort of used cruiser, preferably not too heavy or with very many CC's. Stay in the 250CC - 800CC range.

Besides, you'll never appreciate the Mean Streak's improved handling and power if you don't start off with something more baseline.

Don't rush it man. You have a lifetime to ride if you ride safe. In my opinion, you have a lot to learn before you should get a MeanStreak. A MeanStreak "wants" to accelerate hard (and CAN) and it "likes" to push the envelope and carve up the corners at much higher speeds than the posted cornering speed. Make sure you have the experience and skills before taking on a bike like that.

As for Warrior vs MeanStreak, the bike reviews for the Warrior have not been that favorable, particularly with how uncomfortable it is to ride. The reviews all rave about the MeanStreak.

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
Oh, and the MSF course is not even a question. If you've never ridden, you should absolutely take it. They're free and very hard to get into so reserve early. If it's winter temperatures where you are now, you'll probably get impatient come next spring waiting to get into the course. I recommend finding a friend who rides who can ride your used bike to an empty parking lot somewhere and spend some time teaching you the ropes.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Agree with Slick's all the way.. You don't have any bussiness on the meanie if you haven't been on a street bike before . Like he said don't rush it. Take the class an learn how to turn at slow speed's , anyone can haul ass in a straight line. Now the skill comes in when you have to dodge a deer while hauling ass around a curve?? are you ready for that? Probably not. Well that's when the meanie is at it's finest ..Just take the class an enjoy the experince then you'll know when an which bike to get. You have to have the motorcycle endorsement on your driver licence to legally ride the bike on the road anyway.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
covered

sounds like everyone's got you covered. welcome to the site, and to riding. break yourself in slow, you'll appreciate riding that much more down the road. good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks everybody, glad I didn't get a used v-max like I had planned. I've found an msf course in AL, so I'm planning to take it before I buy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts