Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HELLO ...im completely new to bike riding in fact never even road one/but want to get one, can someone give me any tips such as...whats a good starting bike(street bike), keep in mind i dont plan on racing or nothing like that, just want to be comfortable, transportation,and also want a good looking bike as well.. budget( 8,000) thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
HELLO ...im completely new to bike riding in fact never even road one/but want to get one, can someone give me any tips such as...whats a good starting bike(street bike), keep in mind i dont plan on racing or nothing like that, just want to be comfortable, transportation,and also want a good looking bike as well.. budget( 8,000) thanks
I usually suggest a nice standard/cruiser for a beginner. Something not too big and bulky with a good center of gravity. Nothing too long or too heavy.

Lately I have been thinking that the bike I currently ride, Kawasai Versys, would also be a great bike for a beginner. If you can show proper restraint it can handle and perform well at lower speeds but packs enough punch that you would not tire of it as your skills increased. It has a short wheel base and a high seat to give you a very solid feeling of control and manueverability. It is rock solid on the freeways and tracks in a stright line very well.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My MSF told the class to start on or below a 500cc. Well, for me it was too late because i already took my 600 to the course. You can buy alot of bike for 8000. I recomment you get a beginners bike like the ninja 250 for $3500. Then you will learn to ride pretty quickly, your skills will improve, and you will get bored of it. Sell it for $3000 and get some 600cc bike.

·
Registered
137 Posts
thats what im lookin into ninja 250 sweeeeet lookin ride
I will break from the standard a bit here and suggest you go up to the Ninja 500. It is not that much more money and if you really start to ride you will grow tired of the capabilities of the 250 very quickly. if you can afford to trade it in soon that is not an issue but if you have a budget like I do it might be better to think ahead a bit and just practice a bit more restraint while learning. :)

·
03 ZX-12R
609 Posts
I would recommend that if you've never ridden before, a dirt bike is the best option. May not be what you want in the long run, but you can learn a lot of good lessons off-road, and the lessons won't be nearly as costly (or painful).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm a new rider as well and honestly new to standard transmissions as well. Took the MSF course and got an 07 ZZR600 from craigslist. I've been driving the local streets practicing my skills. Might actually attempt to commute (45mins) to work on Tues or Wed when the rain has stopped?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just bought my wife a Ninja 250 and would suggest a 500 as well. Call the DMV and see if they offer a riding course. They will teach you alot! My wife took it and learned a bunch. I even thought of taking it.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
I'm a new rider as well and honestly new to standard transmissions as well. Took the MSF course and got an 07 ZZR600 from craigslist. I've been driving the local streets practicing my skills. Might actually attempt to commute (45mins) to work on Tues or Wed when the rain has stopped?

You were smart...After sitting on the new 250...If you are anything over 6ft...A 250 is just way small...NJow if you are under 6Ft but burly it is small. If you are under 6ft and tiny in build then knock yourself out riding one. Just eing honest. Good for you on getting a ZZR.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Welcome. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
i am 5'8" 170 lbs, would a 08 250R too small ? i'm a beginner as well and i've
seen several older 250R's on the highway and i thought they are enough
to satisfy me. how fast can a 250 go anyway (stock), its labeled a sportbike
so i assume its capable to follow or maybe lead some bikes out there.
i would take that MSF and supplemental riding lessons as much as i could.
i want to be the safest rider out there.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I'd go with the 250. You won't outride it in a year. You might get bored of the straight line acceleration in a while, but it is a great cornering machine and a great learning tool. not to many riders, even seasoned vets, can ride a 250 at its limit. the 500 isn't bad either, that's what i started on. But I'm 6'4, and a 250 was just a tad too small.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
Budget is $8k!!! I just read that part. Go get yourself a 2007 ZX-6R...Newb or not...If you are smart and responsible you can make it on that bike.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
i dont think a zx6r would be a good choice. If you want to be a good rider, start small. sure, you might be ok on a 600, but your riding skills won't be as good as they would have you started on a 250. keep your ego in check when getting into motorcycling, it could get you killed

·
Registered
137 Posts
i dont think a zx6r would be a good choice. If you want to be a good rider, start small. sure, you might be ok on a 600, but your riding skills won't be as good as they would have you started on a 250. keep your ego in check when getting into motorcycling, it could get you killed
I disagree. I think a 250 might be easier to learn on simply because it is less likely to get away from you power and weight wise but I do not think learning on a 250 vs. a 600 or bigger will have much affect on your overall riding skills in the future.

I do not think a sport style bike is the best to learn on though because of the riding position and the balance. I would still suggest the Versys. it has a sporty feel, plenty of power, great balance, and an upright riding position with good visibility.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts