Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Freakinout said:
On another topic, I just found this forum today, I've been going to katanaplanet daily since I got my bike, but I was hoping to find a kawasaki specific forum.
Welcome to the forum!!

I thought I recognized that SN. Probably pretty obvious from my SN who I am but just in case it slipped by you, I go by "RRC" over there. You know, the guy everyone whines about because they have to wait to receive a seat cowl, then drools about and praises when they get it and suddenly realize why it takes so long to get and that it was worth waiting for.
Glad to have you over here!! Hope you'll hang around and help us build this place up! If you like the atmosphere over at KP, you'll really like this place too. A lot of how this board is run is based on KP.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Braada said:
Freakinout said:
On another topic, I just found this forum today, I've been going to katanaplanet daily since I got my bike, but I was hoping to find a kawasaki specific forum.
Welcome to the forum!!

I thought I recognized that SN. Probably pretty obvious from my SN who I am but just in case it slipped by you, I go by "RRC" over there. You know, the guy everyone whines about because they have to wait to receive a seat cowl, then drools about and praises when they get it and suddenly realize why it takes so long to get and that it was worth waiting for.
Glad to have you over here!! Hope you'll hang around and help us build this place up! If you like the atmosphere over at KP, you'll really like this place too. A lot of how this board is run is based on KP.
ah, so you're the one everybody whines about... I can't even get seat cowls for my bike, so I don't know why they complain so much. I'll be around here, nothing else to do during my 8 hour days of work. :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
500R as a first bike

I bought the 500R as my first bike and I am glad i didn't go with more power. The 500 is more than enough power while still relatively cheap to learn on.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I only passed my test in dec , so iv not been riding to long but iv got a gpz500 as there called over here and i love it :p

hI all

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tinks... Thats fantastic news, just wait till the good weather it will get better and better! :)

Uncle Bob said:
I hear that the UK is very rider friendly and that the riders are very good and all wear head to toe gear. What do you have to go through to get your permit and is it true that there are no stop signs ?.
UK Regulations are a little complex <sigh> but basically...

Before you can ride on the road you must take compulsory basic training (CBT) which is a one day course covering basic machine skills etc.

There is a Theory Test (multiple choice) and Hazard perception text (click the mouse when there is a developing hazard in the video).

You can then take your practical test which gives you a full licence.

After your CBT you may ride on the road (up to 125cc, with a power restriction) and you may not use Motorways (a special kind of expressway).

If you are under 21 you can only get a restricted licence.

A type A1 is limited to 125cc (11kw/14.6bhp)
and a category A is limited to 25kW (33bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg for 2 years.

If you do not want this restriction and are over 21 you can take a direct access course which allows you to ride unrestricted. If you have a category A and reach 21 you can take this test to remove your restriction before your two years are up. The direct access course must be taken on a machine of at least 46.6 bhp (typically 500cc).

If you do not have a full licence you may only ride a bike over 125cc on the road with a direct access approved instructor in radio contact with you (max 2 students to 1 instructor).

The CBT issue is also complicated by some people not requiring it if they passed their car test before a certain date.

I hope that is all clear, more information can be found at http://www.dvla.gov.uk/drivers/learn2dr.htm#2. Motorcycles, scooters and mopeds

We also have a category for "mopeds" ie 50cc or under and limited to about 30mph. They also have to take a CBT unless their car licence covers them, etc.

The Driving Tests are run by the Driving Standards Agency http://www.dsa.gov.uk/

I took my Direct Access last year. It cost a small fortune but was well worth it.

My instructors site also gives more information http://www.riderplan.co.uk/. Ok so we have lots of rules and things to go through but I do feel the training was good, and has been beneficial to me in terms of how I ride.

To answer your question about STOP signs. We do have them in the UK. In most of the UK they have been replaced with "Give Way" signs, which are similar but you do not have to physically stop, so if you can see the way is clear you can keep going (good for bikes!).

STOP signs are still used on dangerous junctions and are more common in some areas than others.

Hope that's all clear, if I have got something wrong please correct me ;-)

21 - 27 of 27 Posts