Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are a new rider, or even back after many years off 2 wheels you'll want to look into getting some formal training to get you up to pace.

http://www.msf-usa.org/
The MSF course usually counts as the riding portion of your drivers license test and can get you a nice discount on your motorcycle insurance. Not to mention it can likely save your life.

Also:
http://www.motorcycletraining.com/

You might also want to get some gear. Helmets are a must and leather over everything else is recommended.

Have fun and keep the rubber side down. 8)

·
It's purple, ma'am
2,016 Posts
Can vouch for this in Georgia. Just got my motorcycle certification by taking the MSF Basic Rider Course card received in the mail to the local DMVS. Took 20 minutes and I was outa there!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'am trying to get a friend to take the course. I told him it would be a good way to move into it slowly and decide if it was really something he wanted to do! Riding a motorcycle isn't for everyone, this would give him a taste of it without buying a bike. He has never been on a mini bike! He has asked me twice now about it and looks like he'll go if he can get the time off? I told him if he cant get the time off, I would take him out in the desert to learn if he rents a bike for off road. I know he will like it! :grin:

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am looking at taking this course...most definitely! I have never ridden but I have always wanted to, so I am going to start on the right foot.

I even bought a bike from a friend, the mechanic that is going to get it up and running (it was stored for 2 years) says it is a kz1000 b4 ltd and much too powerful for me (female 5'2"). He has a vulcan 500 and wants $1800, but is willing to negotiate somekind of trade/fee...Any advice? I don't know much about bikes...any info. would be appreciated. The bike is in great condition, but needs some work due to the storage.

Hope to hear from someone soon...I live in deep south texas and have no one around to ask...thanks :)

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
newbikerb said:
I am looking at taking this course...most definitely! I have never ridden but I have always wanted to, so I am going to start on the right foot.

I even bought a bike from a friend, the mechanic that is going to get it up and running (it was stored for 2 years) says it is a kz1000 b4 ltd and much too powerful for me (female 5'2"). He has a vulcan 500 and wants $1800, but is willing to negotiate somekind of trade/fee...Any advice? I don't know much about bikes...any info. would be appreciated. The bike is in great condition, but needs some work due to the storage.

Hope to hear from someone soon...I live in deep south texas and have no one around to ask...thanks :)

Welcome!!! ;)
Glad to hear your going to take the MSF Class (www.msf-usa.org).
I am not familiar with the type of bike your inquiring about. Someone who is will answer your questions soon.

·
Too hot to ride
1,308 Posts
i think it's one the cops use... at least here in cali they do... it's a nice bike... i've heard good things about it... especially the part where you look like a cop when you're riding it, and therefore the drivers will move out of your way or slow down for you... which is a major plus for us riders... there's quite a bit of power in it, but if you can respect it and play by the rules, i'm sure you're gonna be fine, but that's imo...

you should definitely take the class first before making any decisions... worse comes to worse, i would definitely keep the bike that you already have... the deal will always be there (i hope) if you ever want to downgrade to a vulcan 500... it's quite exciting riding for the first time, but just keep in mind that you don't need to rush things... just relax and all should be just fine... ;)

ting

·
Registered
29 Posts
MSF Courses...

PAY? Sheesh - here in PA we go from MC learner's permit ($10), to a short rider-safety course. The learner's permit lasts for a year, and we can sign up for the FREE course whenever we want (MC's and helmets also provided at no addt'l cost). If/WHEN we pass the course, the state issues us a motorcycle license.

I grew up riding dirt bikes, 3-wheelers and quads, and have been told that the course (here in PA, anyway) is NOT easy. But hey, the price is right. After all, who can afford SAFETY courses when they need to buy a BIKE?!?!? LOL!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ohio BRC

For anyone riding (or thinking of riding) in Ohio, we have the BRC (Basic Riders Course) that you can take at various community colleges and through some other organizations, the cost is $25 but you will need to bring your own gear (I borrowed mine from a buddy), they supply the bikes. I would definatly recommend it as it will probably save your new bike from laying down in practice parking lot.

·
Registered
9 Posts
this newbe has a question. Does anyone know a website that I can downlod a DOT motorcycle safety book? I still havn'e taken my first test. My bike doesn't exactly run right now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
motorcycle handbook

I think they are state specific. Just go to yahoo or google and search your state plus Motorcycle Operator Manual. The other thing you need is something similar to Digest of Ohio Motor Vehicle Laws (then just read the section on motorcycles.)

here is one such link.
http://www.msf-usa.org/downloads/Library_Motorcycle_Operator_Manual.pdf

I printed mine off the internet and it saved me time because when I applied for my temp license, I already had all the reading materials they handed me. OR go apply for your temp license, and they will give you the two manuals you need to study for the test.

I read these manuals, and I passed temp test with flying colors. I will be starting class next week.

Good luck to you.

·
New Guy
275 Posts
You know, I was riding for several years BEFORE I took the Saftey course.

Yes I was a squid, and I tell ya, it was a great way to find out what bad habits I developed and how to correct them.

Not just for new riders.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Whadduptho1, the class is about 4-5 nights for 3 hours or so. A lot of the time it depends on how many people are taking the class, but thats what it was here in South Dakota. You can go and take the written as soon as you think you know enough to pass it. Also here in SD, we can take the written and riding test and go straight to the licensing and get the license...dang I hate that word lol

Its different everywhere tho based on time and stuff. You can go to the website and find out where the nearest place to take the course and call and find out.

·
ready for change
43 Posts
How long does the MSF Certification last? So, how soon should I go and take the written test?
im in AZ so im not sure the rules for CA but my class was a weekend basically. friday evening written then half of sat and half of sunday riding,then then exam was sunday. they gave us some license endorsement papers and i hauled over to the dmv to get the new license a couple days later. Im not sure but i dont think the license and permit are tiered in CA either

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in MO, south of St. Louis. I took the MSF course thru a local Harley/Buell dealer. The course is taken on new Buell Blasts. They are awesome bikes to learn on. The MSF course is also available at a Community college in the area. They provide various brands of bikes for their class. I have heard very positive reports about both classes. I know that the class I took had excellent, knowledgeable instructors. Even though the class was at a dealership and we were given a tour of the facility, I did not feel pressured to buy an HD or Buell, and they did not bash any other brands. It was a great experience and I learned a lot. Our class had 100% pass rate.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Perhaps I'm looking in all the wrong places, but the MSF courses here in California sure seem to be expensive. And maybe someone can clear up the pricing model they have there for me, because i'm a bit confused by it.
The pricing they show is:
15.5 years - 20 years:$150
21 years and up: $250.
Now obviously I understand the straight numbers..but what I don't understand is why? I think it would be logical that the younger someone is(especially pre-drivers license?) the more expensive it would be, however these prices reflect just the opposite. Anyone have any insight?
Thanks in advance!

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
MSF is worth every penny. My wife avoided tragedy three times her first year riding and it came down to basic she learned and applied thru the course.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts