Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
This in particular popped out at me.

Two-thirds of motorcyclists killed on 1,001-1,500 cc engine size motorcycles were riders over 40.

These variables, as well as worsening congestion, the increase of light trucks and sport utility vehicles, and the appeal of motorcycling to middle-aged, new, and former riders with increased disposable income.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
makes sense, we have discussed this before.........many posers ( just for lack of a better word, hey, I'm sleepy).

many guys in their 40's are finding their midlife crisis in motorcycles. They polish them for 8 hours ride them for 2.

Thats cool,whatever floats your boat, but they really dont spend enough time learning their bikes and building up skills,msf does not make you an experienced rider.

then they go riding with others that ride more...........and they dont have the skillset to stay safe.

same as every summer,when thenriding season opens up in some areas,we get many reposrt of dropped bikes, people get rusty over the winter

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This in particular popped out at me.

Two-thirds of motorcyclists killed on 1,001-1,500 cc engine size motorcycles were riders over 40.

These variables, as well as worsening congestion, the increase of light trucks and sport utility vehicles, and the appeal of motorcycling to middle-aged, new, and former riders with increased disposable income.
There are more RIDERS over 40, and how many guys do you know who ride crotch rockets to get their Social Security checks? The vast majority of these riders have motors in the 1000 - 1500cc class, because that's where the Gold Wings and other touring motors run. The over-40 crowd also predominantly own larger cars, and for the same reasons -- they want to carry more stuff, they want more comfort, and they have the money to pay for big iron.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
There are more RIDERS over 40, and how many guys do you know who ride crotch rockets to get their Social Security checks? The vast majority of these riders have motors in the 1000 - 1500cc class, because that's where the Gold Wings and other touring motors run. The over-40 crowd also predominantly own larger cars, and for the same reasons -- they want to carry more stuff, they want more comfort, and they have the money to pay for big iron.
Actually, I do know one guy that picks up his SS check on his ZX-10!

It jumped out at me because this is what I see in the sghop on a daily basis. It's not a bad thing, I just think they should take a refresher course before they jump on something they haven't ridden in 20 years.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Wife would not let me get a bike until I took the MSF course. I rode about 30 years ago. Relearned some things and found out new things. Makes me glad I took the course, because I am much more cautious now than I think I would have been had I not taken it.

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
Wife would not let me get a bike until I took the MSF course. I rode about 30 years ago. Relearned some things and found out new things. Makes me glad I took the course, because I am much more cautious now than I think I would have been had I not taken it.
Sounds very familiar. It's not like most of us are brand new to riding. We have finally raised our families, got the kids into/out of college, and now have enough income that we can afford the "big iron" that we couldn't afford in our youth. Yes, it's nice haveing some buck for me, at last.

That being said, we (returning riders) do need to go back to school and relearn ,or unlearn, how to ride.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Received the new copy of the AMA today. It seems that part of the solution to m/c fatalities is to have mandatory helmet laws in all states. On the flip side, another independent company suggests that they ban all sportbikes. Should be interesting to see the outcome.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
theres a sticky discussion tina............whats constitutes a sport bike. Some of the new " cruisers" are really sport bikes in disguise.

what about the naked bikes ?

I know what we all consider a sportie.......but trying to ban one type of bike could get real bad real quick.

I think the mandatory helmet law will pass though

·
Love to Ride!
949 Posts
I'm a returning rider after a 30 year hiatus and I'm over 40 so I guess I fit within those statistics. I personally would never ride a motorcycle without a helmet, that's my choice and don't think Government should be allowed to dictate that choice. So for those that choose to ride without a helmet it's their choice (and head) not mine.

As for limiting what type of bike a person can purchase that's also my choice and shouldn't be dictated by any government agency. However, having said that I find it quite crazy that today's sport and super-sport bikes have the kind of performance that they do (I've never riden one so no personal experience there). However, you can kill yourself riding a 50cc bike just as easily as a 2000 cc bike so what's the difference.

I believe it comes down to choices. I choose to ride a cruiser, and I ride for the pure enjoyment of riding (and of course for the gas mileage). But I also know that at any point in time I can be killed no matter what precautions I take or how well I've learned to handle my bike. Those are the risks and I choose to accept them.

For those that are over 40 and are either returning riders, or new riders they are responsible for their own actions. If they get stupid and go to fast, or ride crazy they are taking their life in their own hands, and just because you've reached the age of 40+ doesn't make you any less stupid than any other age group.

I'm far more cautious now, than I was 30 years ago. I've got a lot more to live for now than I did then. Wife, 2 kids, a home, and someday maybe grandkids. I intend to be around for that if at all possible so I ride with caution, within the laws of the road and enjoy myself. Lets face it, I could get run over by a truck crossing the road, or just die of a heart attack, so If I'm gonna live this life I'd like to live it based on my choices, not those of someone else.

Sorry for the long post, but things are a bit slow at work today, and this post kinda got me started.

Ride Safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts