Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering if anyone knows a good tire or even max size tire I could throw on my 1995 Ninga 600r. As of right now it has a 140/80/16 Metzeler on the rear and Dulop 110/80/16 upfront. Is it possible to throw on the rear a 150/80/16 etc.. just need some light shed on this cause the bike needs a new rear tire its bald in the center.

·
Registered
169 Posts
on my 600 its 160/70/16 rear and like 130 or somethin on the front

·
Registered
32 Posts
You can probably get away with going or the 150 rear tyre like my 1000 but as with most things, if its designed to have a 140 then it will probably be better to stick with it.
As for the tyres themselves, if your only having the rear done then you should stick with the same tyre as you have but if your doing the pair then i'd say Pirreli Sport Demons for handling and Bridgestone BT45 for all round use.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
169 Posts
i gotta ? then.... my 96 zx600 has 160 in the back, and i was just wondering what size stock tire was...

·
Registered
213 Posts
nemethejames, Do you have a ZX600E? If so, it takes a 160/60/17 I think. I'd have to look at mine to be sure. Anyway, there should be a sticker on the frame somewhere with stock tire sizes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
i think stock is 130/80-90/16, if you have the 160 then it should be fine on my bike, i dont think kawasaki changed rim sizes on the ninja 600r but I could be wrong just curious cause id like to get a wider tire. My best bet is probally to ask the guys at a bike shop that work on them alot what size I can put on it.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if its STOCK with a 130 then DO NOT mount a 150/160 etc. going up one size is max to be safe. you can go to a 120 on the front also

·
Registered
12 Posts
this is probally why the guy put a 140 on the back. I had read somewhere about when going with a bigger size not to overdue it or unlike a car a bike can show worse results in handling and twitchy feeling. I'll stick with the 140 and go with the 120 upfront.

lol just noticed im signed on the original sn. next post and then on will be the southjersey600r sn.

·
Registered
329 Posts
For the Ninja 600R, the stock front tire size is 110/80-16. Nobody, except for NOS (new old stock), makes a tire in that size.

The stock rear tire size is 130/90-16.

If you go wider, the bike won't handle as well in the turns, and you can't lean it over as much because it rolls. Stick to stock, or close to the stock size unless you ride in a straight line most of the time.

Here's a website describing the dilemma of tire size on the 600R, and certain brands/tires:

http://www.foreven.com/motorcycles/Tyres/KaNinja600R.htm

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I went with a 120/80/16 Dunlop GT501 cause that was the closest thing they had, they only make for the front a 110/90/16 so rather then jump the profile i stuck with the same profile and just went one size wider. As for the rear I went with 1 size up a 140/90/16 if its a problem in handling i'll go down to a 130/90/16 but as for now the bike had on it when I got it a 140

After reading that page now im half minded to put that 120 upfront and just sell the dunlop gt501's I was gonna put on it.

Do you think id be ok keeping the new 140/90/16 in the rear and ditching the 120 for a 110/90/16? seems like the front will be the more havoc wreacking of the setup

·
Registered
329 Posts
In the end, I think it's up to you.

I know people that run a 120/90 in the front and prefer it over the 110/90.

Those people also say if you only do mild street riding, much of which is in a straight line, then the 120/80 is fine.

But personally, I would go with the 110/90. My bike came (used) with a 120/80 and I wasn't able to lean the bike as easily. You have to do more body leaning, rather than bike leaning. Also, it doesn't feel as stable when you actually have the bike leaned over. I didn't use the outer 10% of each side.

Furthermore, since the 120 was squeezed onto a 2.5" rim, it wasn't evenly placed around the wheel, and at 80+ the bike would shake violently.

After that tire wore down, I couldn't find a 110/80, so I put on a 110/90. Now I can ride the bike the way it was meant to be ridden, it doesn't shake at high speeds, I can lean it over more, and it will turn quicker.

As for the rear, I have no experience messing with tire width, since I've always had a 130/90 on the rear.

How does your bike ride now?

Do you like to lean it over?

Are the 120 and 140 the only tire sizes you've experienced on the bike?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just got the bike back 2 months ago havent even got to ride it yet but down the street straight so. As with the 120 im gonna ditch that cause you got living proof its not good with the high speed shake etc.. I will replace that with the Dunlop GT501 in a 110/90/16 and for the rear im gonna stick with it see how it goes. I would think that with the wider rear will have a tiny bit more contact patch then the 130 but we'll see how it goes. I think the guy that had the bike before me was pretty knowledgeable about it cause he has the 110 upfront.

When spring time comes I'll get back to you on how the 140 feels in the rear but as of now im new to the bike world and the bike itself. I'll give you a run down on the Dunlop GT501's etc.. in handling, grip etc..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts