Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard that on new bikes that the tires can be slippery. Does anyone know why this is and what's the best way to "break them" in?

·
Registered
88 Posts
vaporgas2000 said:
the tires have a mold-release coating from the manufacturing process.
the easiest way to remove it is with a product like Goo Gone.
hope this helps
Very good advice I too would try that... I always like the old fashion way and just spin the tires alittle before you go out... That will warm them right up and get that annoying coat right off....

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Slipping

Stay upright untill you have about 50-75 miles then slowly start leaning further both left and right...IF you are really concerned about getting all the way over you can chalk your tires and see how for you are really getting on them and just keep doing it everytime you leave the house. Eventually you will find out if you are using the entire tire of not..I had the tendency to ride sparingly for about 25 miles and hen start taking a scenic drive 14 mile loop in bot directions after work each night, and controling my speed limit to the posted limits. Should you find you are slipping some you can add throttle and countersteer, then remember not to be so aggressive the next time in that corner. They don't take much time to break in if the pavement is hot and you have a tendency to work the corners. I believe that running the tires at the appropriate tire pressure is great for breaking them in, but In mypersonal opinion I like to run them just a little above the pressure just incase I pick up a little extra weight or I'm assulting/attacking the corners which puts more load on them. Lower pressure causes them to run a little warmer. this may seem anal/obsessive but get a thermometer that you measure temps with and measure tire temps in the middle an both edges after a long hard full bore run...then adjust accordingly...same thing allpies to street tires on your car/truck...equal temp is desirable.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
SLIPPERY TIRE MOLD RELEASE

To assist in this, I would also recommend using DAWN dish washing detergent and water, and scrubbing them with a stiff brush, even between the groves, and use nothing on the tires to make them shiney or glisten. then just like applying decals with detergent you don't have to worry about geting it all off because it is sticky...I do however rince mine pretty good with water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts