Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put new tires on my XII yesterday. Its hard to believe how bad your tires get until you put on new ones. Put them on last on Memorial Day W/E in '06. Had just a bit over 31K on the bike then, got just a little over 54K on it now. Thats 23K on a set of tires. Went with the same I had on there Dunlop E-3's, see no reason to mess with success.
We put new shoes on my wife's 1100 Vstar also. We put a rear on about 3 weeks ago, and just put a front on yesterday. She is trying Avon Venom this time.
We paid $566 for 3 tires with mounting and balancing yesterday. Oh well, if you want to play you got to pay.
Marty

·
Super Moderator
10,907 Posts
23k, wow, guess I'll have to try the E3's next time. Just wish I could play and not pay! :D :D
Nah, everyone's gotta get their money. I just wish I could play and someone else would pay. It's the same way I could afford a Harley.......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion the key to getting high mileage out of your tires is tire pressure. Check it regularly and run the max load pressure for the tire that is printed on the side of the tire. In my case it was 40 psi cold front and rear. Plus you have to remember I am running a touring compound also which is harder, but for my big heavey bike it works well. I am also a fairly agressive rider. I mean I don't do burnouts and such, but take off pretty fast at times. Hard braking, and really like to get with it in the twisty stuff. Plus I pull a Bunkhouse camper trailer, but I ride solo since my wife has her own bike.
Marty

·
Solar Panel Charged
614 Posts
I agree on the tire pressure. I purchased D404's and had read mixed reviews on them but I'm personally getting great service out of them, but I too keep the tire pressure up at 40f/42r. :)

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
That's a ton of miles on bike tires. I've never gotten better than 15k on any I use on my vulcan.
That's still a big number to me!!!

The stock 'stones never went more than 5K in the rear, 8K on the front. I tried ME880's this time and have 11K on both. They are wearing even, not cupping, but there's not much left in either one.

This time around I'm going to give a set of Venoms the nod and see how they do.

Bruce

·
Solar Panel Charged
614 Posts
Haven't got that many miles on the Dun's yet, but when I change tires again I'll go back to the Pirelli MT66. I only got the D404's because I didn't want to wait on the service man to order the Pirelli's.

·
RDY2GO!
343 Posts
How'd those Pirelli's do for you?

I've used them with great results off road, but never tried any on the street. I've sold quite a few MT66's and they are a good looking tire. Gotten mixed reviews from the folks I sold them too, which is fairly common.

Bruce

·
Solar Panel Charged
614 Posts
How'd those Pirelli's do for you?

I've used them with great results off road, but never tried any on the street. I've sold quite a few MT66's and they are a good looking tire. Gotten mixed reviews from the folks I sold them too, which is fairly common.

Bruce
They're still doing, I put them on the C50T(same size as on the Voyager), and sold it to a guy that works with me. I keep an eye on them. About 5k on them now and I can't see any appreciable wear. I will say before I sold it, I just felt totally comfortable with them and they looked good. Still I keep and am having the guy that has the bike now keep the tire pressure at 40lbs. I don't think you can say enough about tire pressure, seems to me, tire pressure is the key to tire durability. Also I got them online, both with tubes for less than $200 the pair. Won't need tubes with the Voyager.
PM if you want, I have the PDF on Pirellis. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts