Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
|I just bought a 91 ex500 from a friend and was told that you can remove the baffles from the factory exhaust and it will not hurt the motor i was thinking of doing this until i have the money saved up to buy a aftermarket setup.
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
HURT

A motor is the fulcrum or bar for the see-saw. You go straight pipes and you need to run the carb richer...the baffles out will cause you to burn a little leaner (hotter) and you risk burning your valves. Noise will only bring atention to you. Be cool! You have a Ninja now. spend your time and energy cleaning and reading your Service manual. Checking the plugs tweeking the cables, lubricating them, checking brakepads, battery, all your connections..adjust your brake and clutch levers to your height, the tire presure, clean out every speck of dirt you find, polish the bike..winter is appoaching and there are many things that you need to know and ask about. Change your oil, lube the chain while it is still warm...making the bike loud....bad idea. You want to change pipes, or remove the baffles, then get a jetting kit and or read about it first. I'm not trying to upset you, just educate you on the is a fine balance between the things that you choose to do. Asking was the right thing to do..so at least you are on the right track, and shouldn't have to worry about running lean now. Start a list, preferably on a large whiteboard or chalkboard (others will hopefully see it) and put a list of items and things that you NEED and ones that you WANT...Helmet, spare helmet, jacket, at least Military boots to protect your legs and feet, Gloves, more gloves, tank bag (for longer rides), spare parts, plugs, airfilter, aftermarket exhaust, jetting kit, K&N Airfilter, LED's to replace the lamps currently in place, Chain lube, more chain lube, gas filter(s), replacement faceshields, rainsuit, magazine subscription...When your birthday and Christmas and other days come along the Board will show others what you still NEED and what you still WANT...and don't be afraid to get a torque wrench on the NEED list, too.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
were is a good place to order a jetting kit from? I have already replaced the front and rear sprockets and chain, new tires,oil change, uni air filter,had carbs rebuilt, aftermarket front turnsignals. Now i am wanting to get a fender elem for it and new exhaust. i only paid 500 bucks for it and it only had 9000 miles on it.
Thanks Brian

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Rejetting

Different stage rejetting for the different exhaust systems...Sounds like you have a great bike and a decent price to allow you to do some work...When it comes to chosing a complete exhaust system that you can replace the packing (usually fiberglass) in. When it gets loud, or should you need to quiet it down it's easier than drilling out the rivits...and replacing them. Bikeaholic, Freakinout, are a couple of the Guru's when it comes to the 500's. There are lots of the Ninja500R riders out there! It's a great bike, and now thereare some really cool parts for it...as far as rejetting you can get the parts at the dealership or just about anywhere, but AFTER you talk to the 500 guys they may have a source that includes the kit with the pipe, so I'd hold off till you check with them. Like to see a picture posted...perhaps even some basic info in your profile. The profile help us o know what region of the country you live in, and what type of hobbies you have, things like that...it helps to relate to someone if you have the same hobbies and interests...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts