Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I just got on my first bike the other day, I went and got the permit and my buddy showed me some basics, the bike was a zx9, which I know is a big bike to learn on, its also kinda a beast to maneuver, I road it around for about two hours, with out any real problems. It was just around my neiborhood away from traffic. I am 6'2 240 pounds, so buying a 250 is out of the question. I was pretty comfortable on the 9, but what do you think is a good bike to start out with. I have the chance to buy a 95 zx750 for about 1300 bucks, its kind a fixer upper, but I am the type of guy that likes to know alot about what he rides/drives. do you think this is a good bike for me to start out on. I am definatly going to go take the riding course before I buy a bike, just lookin for some input, thanks

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
If i were you i'd go with a kawasaki ZX-6R year 03. They are nice bikes, but they are fast, so watch out, its the bike i'll be getting next year, lots of fun thou :). A ZX-7 might me good, plus l8r on you can get a big bore kit for it, 953cc. have fun, and stay safe, don't bad mouth the 250, guys here like it :). lmao

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
That 750 seems like a good deal, depending on how much work it needs. Just remember it has a lot of power and to take it very easy on the bike for the first couple of months. I wish I could find a decent fixer-upper for 1300 bucks.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
TimZX said:
I am not badmouthing the 250, I am just a big dude
At 240 lbs the 250 is too small of a bike, 500 would do the trick, but even then thats 65lbs more than me, I'd hate to have to try and make the 500 scoot fast.

·
Registered
134 Posts
TimZX said:
I have the chance to buy a 95 zx750 for about 1300 bucks, its kind a fixer upper, but I am the type of guy that likes to know alot about what he rides/drives. do you think this is a good bike for me to start out on.
I'd rather drop a $1300 '95 than a $10,000 '04. I've been riding my little Suzuki GZ 250 for a while, and I'm a good sized guy too. I just started riding my new (for me...) '94 ZG1000 Concours and the difference in weight and power is tremendous (20hp vs. 100hp)

Getting training is smart, I'd wager you'd be OK picking up the 750 if you feel comfortable with it. You're probably exceeding the recommended first bike, but you're not dumb enough to go buy a super expensive rocket for your first ride. 8)

Best of luck and enjoy it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts