Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just wanted to say I have been here as a guest for a while.
I see that you guys are good at helping so I decided to Join.

I'am new to the 2 stroke life (so far not impressed) alothough I'm keeping
an open mind.

At this time I have a few Thumpers in the garage:

1981 XL500s Yeah I know it's a honda but I love the old thing

2005 KX250F

2008 TT-R 125 (four stroke) Its what the wife wanted to ride

And the only Smoker :

1998 KX125 This is the reason I Joined.

A little history on the 98 KX 125...
I bought the bike for $500 in not so bad shape.But not running
Got it home to find the Rod and Crank frozen.Not a big deal as I planed
to rebuild the entire thing anyway from the ground up.

After a new rod / crank I put the bottom end together. Weiseco piston
cross hatched the cyl. (it was perfect anyway) Kicked the kicker twice and it fired and ran great. Took the bike out the next moring for the break in.No big hills no more than 1/4 throttle for no more than 15 min at a time.Then let it cool down. I did this for 5 hours (dont worry though I had the 250 to ride while waiting:biggrin: ) I then went home and went over the bike with a fine tooth comb. the next day I took it back out to run it like it should be run.
Nothing.I am now having the same Bog problem as kawirider. If I twist on it all at once it will bog to nothing.It does not matter if I'm under load or not.
I'm getting great fire,Fuel is flowing to the carb fine,compression is exactly where it should be.

Now I do live in Colorado at about 6000' This is my first ever smoker rebuild and ride. so mabe I'm expecting to much from the 2 stroke?? I do know I want it running better though. Can Ya help me ?

James

·
Registered
561 Posts
Welcome to the site. As far as the running of the bike it could be your jetting being at 6000'?? If a bike bog's off the bottom it's either the reeds or pilot jet is dirty or too small. What pipe are you running on the bike?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I'm not sure. I do know the pipe is not stock. As for the reeds I have a new set at home(I work out of town) so i'm waiting to get back and tinker
I do need all the ideas I can so I can order the parts and have them home when I get there

·
Registered
357 Posts
If a bike bog's off the bottom it's either the reeds or pilot jet is dirty or too small. What pipe are you running on the bike?
I had a 95 kx100 that bogged off the bottom, mid, top and would stall because it was running too rich. I went down 2 sizes on the pilot and moved the needle clip to the 1st (leanest position) and it ran great. I pulled the plug after riding and it was that tannish brown that your looking for...

COKX Have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like? If it's black and oily your bike is running rich. You can try moving the needle clip up to a leaner position before re-jetting...if it's running rich you may need to go down to a smaller pilot jet. When you take the carb off take the jets out and see what size they are and compare them to stock. Hold them up to a light and make sure you can see through them clearly. Check the float level make sure it's within tolerance...

Once you get the bike running right you'll love it :biggrin:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
COKX Have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like? If it's black and oily your bike is running rich. QUOTE]

O I left that part out lol Thanks. Yes I fouled 2 plugs in about a half hour each. I disregarded this because of the type of riding I was doing.
I can not do the WOT/killswitch cause the bike bogs so bad it wont go WOT unless I roll on really slow.

Also I have tried ALL the positions on the needle clip. I'm wondering now if my pipe is plugged? may need a repack? This should also give me a "RICH" reading. Right? If it has to much back pressure?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How is this 2 stroke gonna do when I run from 6000' to 10,000 or 12,000 feet?
Because I do this often in 1 days ride.

·
Registered
357 Posts
You can repack the silencer i'm sure that would contribute to a rich condition but not be the absolute cause. So your plug is wet and oily? Sounds like to me you will need to order some smaller pilot jets especially if you've already tried moving the needle clip to the leanest position...

I would compare the jetting that's in the bike to what is stock before i ordered anything. Even if your just putting around if the bike is tuned right you shouldn't be fouling plugs. What are you mixing the gas ratio at? Like i said my bike was bogging so bad that when i rolled the throttle it would stall it took a leaner pilot jet and moving the needle clip to a leaner position and then it ran great from then on.

I can't comment on what problems you might encounter going from 6,000 to 12,000 feet on a 2 stroke i've never dealt with those extremes.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes the plug was wet/oily
I'm mixing 32:1 8oz to 2 gal was thinking of dropping that to 6oz to 2 gal though

I will try the jetting as soon as I find out what is in it now. Thanks
I'm sure a repack wont hurt either.

·
Tree Magnet
393 Posts
LEAVE THE OIL RATIO ALONE! Use anything from 32-40:1, but do not change it until you get the jetting problems fixed.
The symptom sounds like low compression, but you said it's fine. That leaves jetting or electrical issues. Use Spanky's jetting guide as a good reference. You could get a head start by using a jetting kit (JD Jetting) to ge tyou in the ballpark. You have a fuel metering problem (most likely) since when you open it up it bogs and takes a second to catch up.
2T jetting is an excercise in patience, but you can learn a lot and makes a PHENOMENAL difference in bike performance.
Don't dispair - two strokers are sooo much fun to ride.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My first inclination would be to say your jetting is lean, but, 6000' thats pretty high. Have you had a 125 before? It isn't your 250f and won't run even close. Going to 10,000' your going to be in for some jetting experiences. 125 don't have all that much bottom end anyway, you take it to 10k and your really going to lose power, you'll think your on a 60. You may want to try some opxygenated fuel for the high altitude, it'll help some and by all means don't use race gas. My first trip to Mammoth lakes I had race gas in my hopped up 125, couldn't get the bog out, in desperation I replaced the gas with 91 octane pump gas, bog went away.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I dont expect it to even come close to my 250F (that thing had me scared for a while)

I need to find "spanky's jet guide" The last few times I looked for it I couldnt find anything (my fault though) I was looking for sparky's
I also need to find a complete Jet kit for the 98 125 any ideas? I deal with Rockymountianatv.com and babbitsonline.com but have not seen a good kit yet.

dmstarr,
I will leave it alone lol that is till i get the carby right.

Anyone making "Dial-a-jet" for the 125 yet?????????

·
Registered
357 Posts
Did you ever say if your using a stock pipe or not? I ordered some DG keihin jets from DennisKirk - Production Website Home page for my kx100 and that worked out great. I believe the 98 kx125 uses the PWK 36mm carb you will need the DG keihin 22 series for the pilot & DG keihin 13 series for the main (someone correct me if i'm wrong on the main)

I would just order 2 smaller pilots & 2 smaller mains...to me your obviously running rich with a wet plug. I would start of with a smaller pilot and if it's still running real rich you can go down to the next smaller pilot and then start moving the needle clip up to leaner positions according to how the bike is running...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the site. I do buy from them also.

I kinda think the same thing. Up here we do NOT often run into a lean condition due to the thin air.

so as soon as I get home I'm gonna find out what jets are in it .

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
I dont expect it to even come close to my 250F (that thing had me scared for a while)
You are mistaken, it will come close to your 250, but wont quite match it(You know they run in the same class, dont you? You dont see any smokers at all anymore, though.) And if you were scared by the 4 stroke you will probably get scared by the 125's hit in the middle.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts