Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy, i would first like to start off by saying im new to this forum and to riding, so if i have some stupid questions, please dont make fun of me!

Yesterday i went to a dealer to check out some bikes and befor i was thinking of getting the 04 Suzuki Gs500F but i reconcidered getting that because im a new rider, so was looking to getting a used 2001-2003 Kawasaki Ex500R, i just had some questions comparing the 250 and 500

1. Is their a big Difference in speeed between the 250 and the 500?
2. What should be the most that i should spend on a used on? (CDN Dollers, Im from Toronto)
3. Can i get a aftermarket Exhaust on the Ex500 or 250 because and i dont like the exhaust they have on it.
4. Can i make the Exhaust a Single or do i have to have it daul?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
the 250 is a good starter bike, but I prefer the 500 myself. top speed is a major change and so is the power difference getting up to top speed. its twice as big of an engine, although not twice the acceleration power.

depending on miles and condition you shouldn't spend more than 3-3500 US dollars, don't know how much that is canadian.

for a 250 look more like 1-1200 US dollars in good condition.

lots of aftermarket for the 500 and some for the 250 as well.

All aftermarket exhaust is going to be 2-into-1, so it becomes singlesided.

Hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
pretty good, i was also told that some after market exhaust will sometimes lower the power to rear wheel? is this true? and i was also told that the after market exhaust sound crappyer then the stock one, is this true? if these arnt what are some good exhausts for the 500?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Low said:
pretty good, i was also told that some after market exhaust will sometimes lower the power to rear wheel? is this true? and i was also told that the after market exhaust sound crappyer then the stock one, is this true? if these arnt what are some good exhausts for the 500?
Dunno where you heard that, but as long as you do the K&N air pods and a stage 3 rejetting with the full exhaust you should get lots of extra power.

I'd suggest vance&hines system or a yoshi system (can't remember the whole long name)

two bros is supposed to be good too.

Loud pipes: vance&hines will be load, D&D is extremely loud, as is jardine.

I have a hybrid that I made myself over time, its a jardine pipe with a V&H SSR2 muffler. It works great, just took some extra effort making some pieces needed to fit the bike.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Comparison???

The Suzuki 500 is air and oil cooled and the Kawasaki is air, oil, and water cooled...basically the same bike...unless you want to get into real deep information...the Kawasaki 250 (NINJA 250R) is a great bike but you won't find power in the lower RPM range like you will on anything larger. It starts teh power at 9,000RPM and carries on till about 13,000RPM, with a redline of about 14,000RPM..Yes, this true! The RPM's sound crazy but they are in fact the numbers if you want to get into details. The 500 weighs in 84 pounds heavier but has double the power...almost. the 250 is a great bike...lots of people swear by them. 70 miles per US Gallon is pretty good for a bike, no matter where you live. The drawback as far as I'm concerned (personally) is that it has 16 inch tires on it...everything else in the sportbike class has 17" tires. If you are into Physics there is an advantage in the fact that the "Moment of Inertia" is lower...like an iceskater with arms all the way out or tucked in...so IF you went to a 17" tire and a lower profile you would have less inertia...long story...it's 3:46AM here in Kansas. ANyway, suzuki and Kawasaki have been working together for quite sometime now...and the 250, I believe is a part of both sides...as Suzuki doesn't even offer one. The Katana 600 is equal to the ZZR 600 models of one another...Insurance will be cheaper and stuff like fuel on the 250...and people tell me that you will grow out of the 250...I've ridden Z1's, Harleys and cruisers, a couple of midsized bikes and I 'm either going with a 500 or maybe teh 250. the 250 just requires a lot more throttle...and as long as you keep up with oil changes and lubrication, airfilters and keep the bike clean it should be cheaper in the long run. Tires insurance fuel = big change in the end. The 500 will cost more in insurance, fuel and IF I get one tehn tires will be a big factor, because I'll be chewing them up an a regular basis. Good luck and the ONLY stupid questions are the ones that you Don't ask! Ther are some good tires no matter which bike you get... Welcome aboard and stay in touch!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Slipons for 500r

As everyone who owns a ex500 has probably found out...there is only one place you can get slipons for the ex 500 and only 3-4 full systems out there...WELL LISTEN UP!!! I'm getting together with the owner of D & D Exhaust and they are going to design, dyno, and fit slip-ons and a full system for my 2006 Ninja 500R (EX500)... If everything goes well, then they will produce these pipes to add to they're catalog of custom exhaust setups...I would like some feedback from everyone on this...I'll be adding info as design and performance information is gathered and produced...NOW LETS HEAR SOME REPLIES!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an '06 500 as well. Be sure to let me know how that goes.

I want to get a 2 to 1 system, but cost is a serious consideration right now. I can wait to see how your testing turns out.

And if they ever need another tester, let me know. :grin:

Tweak

·
Registered
319 Posts
The Vance & Hines is extremely LOUD. One of many reasons I traded in my 500R. When I left in the morning, I always rolled the bike down to the street, started and quickly got away keeping the revs as low as possible. I let a buddy ride it at work one day, and I heard him come back into the parking lot from inside our brick building.

The 500r is very steady bike though. As long as you dont push it too hard, it is hard to get into trouble with it.

And plenty of power. It will smoke any high performance car your are likely to encounter on a daily basis. And will get better fuel economy than a base Civic.

Beware though. If you put an aftermarket exhaust on it, you WILL have to rejet the carbs. Another reason I traded in the bike. The guy I bought it from put the VH on, and did not rejet the carbs. There were holes in the powerband all over the place. And it seemed their locatation in the rev range changed on a daily basis.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts