Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Old School Z-1 Tweaker
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned my Z-1 since 1974, bought form a guy that said it scared him to much to ride !
It only had 500 miles on it when I got it.
I now have over 283,000 miles on it.

·
Obsessed by Z1's
520 Posts
That is some serious mileage...

We have a couple of customers with 100,000+ miles on their Z1's. I saw one with 175,000 on at Mid-Ohio a couple of years ago. We've a local customer who rides his to work each day during the summer that has over 80,000 miles on it - and it's all original - never rebuilt (although it sounds rough these days).

·
Old School Z-1 Tweaker
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Let see after 85,000 miles I put a Yoshimura 987 kit, Yoshimura Cam, Big Valves, Balanced & Welded Crank Shaft, and put 29mm Smoothbores.
Went about another 95,000 miles, went back to a stock 903 & stock head.
The next time I took apart after about 55,000 miles I went Vance & Hines 1015 together with new Cams & adjustable Cam Sprockets & finely put electronic ignition on, why I waited so long I don't know. That's the way she runs today, the old girl was my Daily rider up in till I bought a 2006 Honda ST1300 June 2008
I have another post that has some pictures I can't seem to put any with this post.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/f...25-new-group-still-riding-old-1973-z-1-a.html

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good for you and your bike! I'm trying to resurrect mine after 16 years in storage. It only had 97,000 miles on it when I put it away and all I ever did was maintain it. These are great bikes!

From what I have read, you have around 198,000 miles on the crank you put in at 85,000. I guess my old crank still has some miles on it.

Thanks for this thread.

RVC

·
Old School Z-1 Tweaker
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Rvc
That's the original crank with all those miles, I just had it Balanced & welded.
The only thing that really wears out are the valve guides.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.