Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, recently I got a Vulcan 900 Custom. Wasn't quite planning on it right now, but my dad stumbled upon it and everything just fell into place I guess. I got it for a decent price I think ($4,600) and it came with a corbin seat, cobra pipes, and a windshield. I got the stock seat and stock pipes with it as well...

Anyways, the guy I bought it from was not the original owner, and he hadn't owned it for long. The bike does have about 7k miles on it. He isn't sure what was done for maintenance to it before hand. The bike looks in perfect condition and sounds great. Not knowing the complete history of the bike I was planning on taking it in for a full checkup and whatever to have oil and whatever else changed as I figured that'd probably be good.

I just got the service manual yesterday so I can do stuff later on my own as well, though I don't have a lot of experience... Here's where my questions come I guess ;P

If I was to go through the bike on my own instead of taking it in, what all should I do to it to make sure I get everything taken care of? I guess this could also be asked, if I take it in for someone else to look through it, what all should I make sure they do? I like knowing more ahead of time going in.

My second question relates to maintenance. I know the service manual I got has a table of what should be done when, but quite frankly is it quite lengthy and gets me lost, a lot of information to process at once, ya know? So could you guys help me with a list of things I need to make sure I do every year / so many miles. Some things in there looked a little off as well as I think it said to check tire pressure every year... which seems a little long to me. So basically, something I can put into a checklist to make sure I'm doing would be amazing.

This forum has been amazing so far and I have greatly enjoyed reading everything I can. I know I have asked for a lot of information, I greatly thank you all for whatever info you can give me.

oh, I posted a pic in the 900 thread, but figure I should post it here as well ;P

·
Politicians' Nightmare
1,871 Posts
It's good to have another Oregonian on the forum! About maintenance, the owner's manual has a check list in the form you are asking about which you can input into a computer and devise a format which will work for you and which you can print out, with a check box next to each item so that you can check it off when you have finished it. Just looking at the requirements all together can be daunting - it might be helpful to go over just a few at a time and look at it all as a hobby, rather than as an off-putting job. After you have done a few services at the indicated intervals you should have developed a sense of how it all goes and it won't seem to be so overwhelming. Also, you might have a biker friend who does their own maintenance help out when you do your first few services on the bike. Good luck!

Nice looking ride!

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts
Congrats on your bike. On the maintenance there really nothing major that needs to be done now, just make sure that your cables are not loose and that you have plenty of brake pads left. Just make sure you keep it with fresh oil every 3k and you're good to go. I just looked at my manual and it looks like you still have about 8k miles more for the valve clearance.

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
+1 for V-twin's comments with these additions: Check all fasteners for tightness...a torque wrench is recommended but just putting a wrench on bolts/nuts/hex fasteners is a good thing.

Also, check on Kaw's website by inputting your VIN to see if the recall was performed on that bike. The recall had to do with the fuel line fitting. It's basically just an inspection.

Otherwise, check your tires and get ready to change'em out...I'm guessing the rear is about toast if not already replaced with the front possibly not too far behind.

Don't forget to check your air filter and add some Seafoam to your next tank of gas to help clean the fuel system.

BTW, sounds like you got a GREAT deal on the bike with the aftermarket stuff included.

And, oh, I'm particularly partial to ruby 9 customs...8)

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
if I recall correctly from my 900's owners manual.. the first required thing to do was lower the rear end. ;) nice bike.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
Now - ck tires, ck/change oil & filter, inspect/replace air filter, verify tire tread is at least 3/32" (my Dunlops lasted about 7K-I would highly recommend Metzler 880-I went to a 200/70-15 and it corrected my odometer)

Weekly - ck tire pressure, inspect engine/trans oil level

Monthly - ck all fasteners (after a few times this takes about 15 minutes). I find that the exhaust system-from the head to the rear-something is always a little less than tight. Include Weekly checks.

Enjoy your new ride! BTW I think you got a great deal!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Store the OEM pipes and seat. If you don't plan on selling the Corbin seperate later u can dump the seat. Legislation and people with overly loud pipes make me worry about pipe legislation in the future. Not worried they go on ebay for 100-150 all the time.

Follow the maintenance suggestions listed above. Mostly just checking fasteners and if you look through the manuals checklist you'll see a bunch of that. Check the recalls, If you have open ones a dealer will do those for you.

If you decide to open up the intake you have solutions between 50 and 300 dollars but you'll need to add a fuel controller as well with the aftermarket pipes. You'll get a little more umph but it's more style than anything else. If you like the style of the bike now, leave it alone and save the 5-600 buck.

Ride it till the tires wear out, replace and repeat.

·
Hardcore Poser
151 Posts
you'll love the 900 custom. there is a large following of that bike here, myself included. +100 on dumping the dunlop tire for something that will hold a little better tread wise, I am actually going this week to get the Avon 230 put on my bike. My dunlop lasted roughly 5000 miles.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you all.

I plan on keeping the stock seat and pipes as I know I can get more selling the aftermarket parts then keeping them on the bike. I may also decide to sell the pipes and put the stock ones back on so I can pay for some different things for the bike... though I do like how the cobras look... so still debating it and probably won't take them off lol

I doubt I'll go for the fuel controller and all that because of the reasons you states William, I like it how it is for now, so not worth the money :p

I checked the recall list and there were 2 small things to have them check real quick, so I'll be getting that done soon.

Thanks all for the help, I'll be tackling everything sometime after Dec 12th as I'll be on my Christmas break and can do it all myself. I've decided to not take it to the dealer and do it all myself. I'm getting my brother to bring his bike down too when I do it so I can work on his with him so he doesn't have to spend money on bringing it in either :) Should be a good time :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.