Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Summer is fast approaching. And I am interested in buying a motorcycle.
I've never driven one before. But had a moped as a teen and loved that so would like to step up to a motorcycle. I was thinking of a kawakaki ninja 500r. I've heard its a good beginer bike. and it's around my price range.
The only thing I'm worried about is I am 6' 2", so my question is would this bike be to small for me. Or are there any other bikes best for a beginner. I would buy used and would like to keep it at or under 6,000.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
OVER 6 Foot...

We have several OVER 6 Foot riders on the FORUM that ride Ninja250R's. Yeah, I personally believe in them. I'm 5'9" 180pounds, and I've ridden just about everything that people will ride in the Military because I was on the MSF training team. From Harley, Honda, to even a Yamaha YSR-50. The Ninja 250R is a fun little lightweight bike that is cheap on insurance great on gas, and has very little maintenance. 2 cylinder 8 valve, 248cc motor. It's a fun bike! So is the 500R! If you are going to be commuting around town and around tight twisty areas the 250 is a BLAST to ride. If you live out in prarie country and the roads are flat and straight the 500R will get you there as well. The 500 is a little heavier and cost more in insurance and fuel but has some advantages like 17" tires and wheels instead of the 16" like on the 250...no biggie anyway you go. You can get almost any aftermarket parts for either of them. From full racing fairings to LED's, from clip-ons, rearsets, windscreens taller, shorter, tinted, aftermarket pipes and canister/muffler(s), in the end you save more money on the 250 and it's top end is well over the 75MPH Maximim Federal Speed Limit, as is the 500. The 500 will get you there faster, and that is about all.

·
Registered
380 Posts
winston smith said:
Summer is fast approaching. And I am interested in buying a motorcycle.
I've never driven one before. But had a moped as a teen and loved that so would like to step up to a motorcycle. I was thinking of a kawakaki ninja 500r. I've heard its a good beginer bike. and it's around my price range.
The only thing I'm worried about is I am 6' 2", so my question is would this bike be to small for me. Or are there any other bikes best for a beginner. I would buy used and would like to keep it at or under 6,000.
First I'll say I'm 6'5 @250lbs I ride, as my signature says, a ninja 250. I have no real complaints about power or size. Another person in our forum rides a 500r and feels it's almost too small for him, but simply because of the way he's built.

Find a 500r, sit on one. Find a 250r/EX250 sit on one. Find a zx6r or larger bike, sit on one of those too. See where your feet rest easily on the pegs, and where your knees go when you pull them close to the tank. I recommend you stick with a 500 or 250 to start with because of the power to weight ratio. 250 would be ideal since it's MUCH more forgiving than anything bigger.

But make sure the bike you pick fits you.

Good luck! ;)

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I've got a 500R, and its almost too small for me, but everything still fits perfectly, if I had another inch in the calf part of my leg I'd probably not be comfortable. I am built kinda funny though. I'm 6'2" and its mostly in my legs. Go to the dealership and sit on a 250 and a 500 and see how it feels.

For your first bike I'd suggest finding a used 250R and going with that, you should be able to find a good one for less than 2K. Save the other 4K you're going to spend and buy plenty of riding gear. (jacket, gloves, boots, pants, helmet) and then if after a year or two you feel the 250 is too small move up to something larger. But don't buy a new bike for your first bike, they depreciate so quickly and if you drop it or lay it down it'll be worth squat. Take the MSF course if it is available to you. www.msf-usa.org

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Suggestion

With either bike if you are taller in the upper torso get the taller or touring windsheild. It will pay for itself in fuel economy, as it keps you out of the direct airflow. Let us know what bike you get. I'm a big fan of the 250R, but you already know that. The main advantages are financial. The only downside is that it is a little slower than the 500R...the upside, besides the financial is that it is an awsome bike and it handles like a dream...

·
Registered
395 Posts
I'm 6'5", 280lbs, and my 500 fits me comfortably. There are some minor things that I'm going to do to make it more comfortable, such as rearsets and clip-ons. As far as power goes, the 500 has more than enough to get where I'm going, without feelign as if I'm riding a moped or a scooter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll check out a 250. Since it will be a litter nicer on the pocket book. I am a college student and am currently paying on a car loan.

I plan on just using it to jet around town to work and school and stuff. So I don't really need a lot of power and don't want it seeing as I'm a beginner. And of course I would buy used. I don't think anybody should buy a new for there first bike or car. I treated my first car like crap and totaled it in a car accident.

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
CONSIDER THIS...

Kawasaki also makes the Vulcan 500. You could put soft or hard saddle bags on it and a windscreen of any size and not get your laptop or books wet. It's a nice bike definately worth looking at. Just go to the top of this page and click on Discount Kawasaki Parts & Accessories...unless you are definately hooked on the looks of a sport bike. Personally I cannot set upright with my spine or I would definately consider a vulcan. They cruise effortless ly and have better adjustments for shocks an dthe insurance is LOWER than a sport bike... FWIW For What It's Worth...

·
Registered
134 Posts
winston smith said:
Thanks for the responses. I think I'll check out a 250. Since it will be a litter nicer on the pocket book. I am a college student and am currently paying on a car loan.
Don't for get to check insurance prices before you buy a bike! You can get a quote online fairly quickly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts