Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
I have been following the posts on this board for about a month, but this is the first time that I have had the time to jump in.

I am the proud owner of a White, 2004, 1600 Classic as of 6/29/04. I just turned over 2,500 miles today (mostly driving to and from work).

This is my seventh bike, but I have been out of motorcycling for the last eight years due to 3 back surgeries including a lower spinal fusion. My last bike was an 84 Goldwing and I really loved that bike. I was seriously considering another one, but I don't think that I have the strength to manage the machine especially if I drop it. So I jumped on the Internet to do some research and narrowed my list to three options. The 1600 Classic, Nomad, or VTX 1300.

I liked the look and feel of the Kaw's over the VTX's including the 1800. If the Nomad had the 1600 powerplant I probably would have bought the Nomad. That said, I couldn't be happier with my choice.

The bike is a pleasure to drive. Well balanced and plenty of low-end power. I also think that roll on power is more than adequate.

The vibration in the gas cap is there and I think that there is some vibration coming from the wiring inside the headlight as well. So far these are my only complaints.

I have been getting 41-42 mpg - mostly Interstate driving between 70 & 80 mph. I try to take back roads as often as I can so that I can relax and enjoy the ride a little more. It was tough keeping it under 60 for the break-in period. I have to admit that I cheated.

My Mods:
Bought a Mustang Seat with drivers backrest, but had to send it back. I think it's the best looking seat you can put on the bike and it offered very good butt support. I just couldn't find a comfortable riding position with the backrest. I was really beginning to worry about my decision to get back into motorcycling with all of my lower back problems.

F&S tall windshield and lowers: Helped immensely with wind protection and buffeting. Very comfortable riding up to 65 mph. If you are over 6' tall, I would recommend going with a taller aftermarket shield. I am 6'3" and when I hit speeds over 65 the head buffeting and wind noise starts picking up considerably.

Custom World Drivers Backrest and Passenger Backrest with Wide Pad: The drivers backrest is outstanding. It adjusts 3" forward/backward and has three vertical adjustment positions. It is a nice piece of hardware and the chrome is of excellent quality. The wife likes the passenger backrest with the large pad. She says it is very comfortable.

Custom World Luggage Rack: Excellent quality.

PhatII Risers from Scootworks: I can't say enough about these risers. The quality is exceptional and they look fantastic on the bike. They are much larger than I expected and weigh about 1.5 lbs each. It took me longer to unwrap them than it took to mount them (just kidding). If you do risers, getting to the nut under the triple tree is a PITA. I used a 12 point 17mm thin walled socket to get the right side off and a 6 point thin walled socket to get the left side off. The key is the thin walled socket. I had to buy both as the wall on the Craftsman sockets are to thick to postion over the nut. There is a plastic cap over the steering head that is to close to the nut that is causes the problem. Once you get the nuts loosened the process is pretty routine. The risers have two sets of mounting holes to provide the greatest flexibility possible in mounting positions. I did not have to reroute any cables, or move any controls. The combination of the PhatRisers II and Custom World drivers backrest have given me the most relaxed and comfortable riding position imaginable.

LeatherLyke Saddlebags: Great bags. Took me about 15 minutes to install. I can put them on and take them off in less than 2 minutes. Follow the manufacturer's instructions for care and cleaning. Don't use Armor All as it will dull the finish on the bags. I can fit my laptop and projector in one bag and I don't have to worry if it rains.

If you are coming off a touring bike like a Goldwing you will miss all the storage and the wind/rain protection that the fairing and shield provide. The crusiers and tourers are apples and oranges; however, when you spend some time on this bike you won't regret your decision - I makes you remember what you loved about biking in the first place.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Welcome to the forum. You've got a great bike there; no doubt it will give you many fun miles! Now, please post some pictures! :)

·
Registered
605 Posts
I have/had an extra vert. in my back which was fused when I turned 19 it's been 11 months and I've been riding for 2 months, I still get pain but once you've lived with it for a good amount of time you get used to it...

Everytime I am getting ready it flares in pain almost like knowing whats coming but the smooth vibrations and never hitting a pothole because I know the roads well now relaxes it.

I've come to the conclusion that pain is in the mind...even though I know that it is not...and that I can overcome it because I've had 3 too many surgeries and I still have 30 days to my 20th birthday.

Hope this little bit of encouragement helps,
Keep riding
Stew

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
great first post but your gonna have to come out of that shelter and open up a bit more :lol:

welcome to the board

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

welcome - i'm very partial to white 1600's :lol:
we have very similar bikes :wink:

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Hey Scuba - Great post!! Thanks for the info on the risers. Couple of things to echo:

Windshield - with 'ya there. I went with the Rifle to get the extra couple of inches of height. It makes all the difference. I found the F&S large windshield to be worse than none at all because of the helmet buffeting.

Honda VTX – tons of power, but didn’t like the look or the feel.

Rattles – Still work’en on those with mine. Once I’ve got ‘em all solved I’m doing to do a complete “Fix the Rattles” post.

Enjoy the bike and thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BACK

scubamac, Welcome aboard! I too have just had surgery on 3 herniated disks, a full, a partial and one disc left alone, and now nothing from the waist doen as far as feeling, but tons of it in my lumbar (S1-L5, on up to the S3-S4). I can't seem to stand the pain of even test riding my buddies New2004 soft-tail, on my back...to much pain. But I have found that a sport bike, back bent foreward will work. Do you have feeling in your lower legs, and does the riding really make you sore? I'm receiving 100%SSDI, but before I lose the use, I'd rather prolong the use by riding if I can...Droppin one could be a disaster, but there are no guarantees. I might be able to pick it up enough to use the clutch and front brake to assist in finishing the job...anyway, I just wanted to know. Sems part of my nerves are all messed up in scar tissue and the third vertabrae...but I want 2 wheels not a wheelchair under me. Still fighting @ 51.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks to all and a PS for ZX and Stuart

Thanks for the posts.

I have enjoyed following this board and look forward to future conversations with everyone.

PS
Hey ZX 2R and Stuart,

Sorry to hear about your back problems. My base level of pain is pretty constant, but I have significant cramping that varies with activity. Have either of you seen a good physical therapist? If you can find a good one who will explain the sources of pain and give you an exercise/strecthing routine that will target the sources your standard of living will improve; but, you have to do the exercises. It especially helps with scar tissue - which is the source of most of my problems. I've been dealing with this since my mid twentys and I am 47 now.

Good luck and good health!

·
Registered
605 Posts
hehe PT... My insurance company loves me, I pay the 10 dollar copay they pay the rest, so far they've paid over 15,000 it does help and I do the exercises but my back gets outta wack in as little as 3-4 days riding or not.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
My Dad is in the same boat with back problems. He has been a biker as long as I can remember. He is the reason I developed a passion for riding, and he is a star to me for many reasons.

A few years back, he suffered an injury at L3 and L4 and had problems riding any distance after the injury. At the time, he had a Magna 750 (that was his love) and an older Goldwing. He had to give it up the Magna because the pegs (like many cruisers) were not under his butt and wouldn't allow him to take weight off his spinal column. That year I got my motorcycle license and took the MSF class, and he gave me the Magna as a "celebratory" gift. It was an event that would begin a common hobby that developed a bond with him the likes of which I never thought possible. To this day, we ride a couple hundred miles a week together.

But I digress. I guess there is a positive side to everything. He still has a back problem, but at 63 I guess that is not unexpected. This year he bought an 04 Goldwing and he can ride for miles at a time. I'm grateful to him. In a weird way I'm grateful for his back too :) It brought us closer, and made me a biker. And for that, I am grateful.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Therapist

The DR. at Fort Leavenworth kept sending me over and over to Physical Therapy at Life Dynamics...on Overland Park (part of Shawnee Mission Medical Center). I finally told him that I didn't want to go anymore. I drive 30-45 minutes to work out an hour, then drive home...it was all paid for (I'm both Service Connected (40%), and now 100% SSDI Disabled. I still do some of the exercises and still overdo things instead of saying no, or calling someone to do it for me..and end up using the pain pills, the jacuzzi tub then straight to the icepack and bed. Mine goes from L3 all the way to S1 (L3,L4,L5,S1) the scar tissue can't be shaved away or it will grow back worse. All the time in the process Put me in the red ($), and now the wife is on dialysis for her remaining kidney and her donor, kid sisters kidney in October. IF we can get past the operation financially then I'll do my best to have a Kawasaki under me. My goal it to fly Fronteer Airlines out of Kansas City, through Denver, then to Billings and have a friend drive me over to BEARTOOTH KAWASAKI in Red Lodge, MT., and not only buy a Kawasaki but take backroads ALL the way home (about 1000 miles.) I'm not going to give up and take this setting or laying down...When I have to give up two wheels I'll go to three and trailer an elecrtic scooter if I have to...I want to work on bikes...I have a natural aptitude and have always found a way to fix something even in the field to get me back home. I may be starting work with Studebaker Motor Company, Inc., out of Texas. Their first release of vehicles will be a motorcycle, and Iget to work with the Engineers...so it should not only be fun to test ride and drive an dhave some ideas put into machines, but to ride my Kawasaki to work everyday. My 1951 Studebaker will get a new generation Studebaker engine so I'm, hopefullly going to be happy within the next year or so.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Therapist

The DR. at Fort Leavenworth kept sending me over and over to Physical Therapy at Life Dynamics...on Overland Park (part of Shawnee Mission Medical Center). I finally told him that I didn't want to go anymore. I drive 30-45 minutes to work out an hour, then drive home...it was all paid for (I'm both Service Connected (40%), and now 100% SSDI Disabled. I still do some of the exercises and still overdo things instead of saying no, or calling someone to do it for me..and end up using the pain pills, the jacuzzi tub then straight to the icepack and bed. Mine goes from L3 all the way to S1 (L3,L4,L5,S1) the scar tissue can't be shaved away or it will grow back worse. All the time in the process Put me in the red ($), and now the wife is on dialysis for her remaining kidney and her donor, kid sisters kidney in October. IF we can get past the operation financially then I'll do my best to have a Kawasaki under me. My goal it to fly Fronteer Airlines out of Kansas City, through Denver, then to Billings and have a friend drive me over to BEARTOOTH KAWASAKI in Red Lodge, MT., and not only buy a Kawasaki but take backroads ALL the way home (about 1000 miles.) I'm not going to give up and take this setting or laying down...When I have to give up two wheels I'll go to three and trailer an elecrtic scooter if I have to...I want to work on bikes...I have a natural aptitude and have always found a way to fix something even in the field to get me back home. I may be starting work with Studebaker Motor Company, Inc., out of Texas. Their first release of vehicles will be a motorcycle, and Iget to work with the Engineers...so it should not only be fun to test ride and drive an dhave some ideas put into machines, but to ride my Kawasaki to work everyday. My 1951 Studebaker will get a new generation Studebaker engine so I'm, hopefullly going to be happy within the next year or two.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts