Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, nice to be a part of the community....
got a question about the 83 KZ750K. i am taking a trip up to alaska and am banking on reliability, obviously, however i am worried about availability of parts for this machine due to its uniqueness in year...especially perhaps the belt drive...
second question: what is the advantage and disadvantage of the belt drive versus a chain?

thanks guys....

-Newton

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Sounds like quite a ride. I can't really help you with the 83 KZ750K, but I can tell you that I like belt drive much better than the chain. The chain will deliver more power from the engine to the rear wheel, but with the drawbacks of maint. and chain lash. The belt is pretty much maint. free. From what I've read they are good for about 75K miles...so other than checking the tension now and then, you shouldn't have to mess with the belt. Others here can probably give you a better idea about the specific machine. Again - welcome, and let us know how your trip goes.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Not familiar with your bike but I had belt drive on my Harley and adjusted it once in over 20,000 miles. They are pretty trouble free and if it looks good, not cracked or stretched out I would safely say the belt is the least of your worries. If you are not sure, put a new one on before you leave on your trip. Have a great time. Sounds like the trip of a lifetime for sure. Get lots of pics.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
83 kz750k- parts compatibility?

thanks for the support fellas it should definitely be one of those trips, good or bad, the adventure is what its all about.
i appreciate the feedback on the belts, but my biggest worry is just finding the parts for it. do you know how compatible kawasaki parts are within a given time frame and model? or would they need to be totally specific to the 83 model...anyone?

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Welcome tnewtonj. Don't have any answers for you, but, have one question. Where are pics?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
76 honda 400f, stubborn little beast

so i currently have the 76 and am having quite a time keepin it running. between carb leaks and oil leaks and electrical mishap after electrical mishap, my patience is as long lived as our relationship is soon to be. currently i am trying to get it up and running to at least take it in to someone with more knowledge than I have to diagnose the leak...so in the mean time i need help with the electrical...last time it was a simple wire replacement and new fuse box so after tidying up all the previous loose wires on the bike, i thought i had the problem taken care of. It died the same way as last time so i jiggled the fuses a bit, disconnected and reconnected all the sketchy spots i have identified but, now all the power is sapped, no lights, no spark on the battery (even after recharging it), no nothing. the electrical is definitely not my forte so if anyone out there has insight on potential starting points of diagnosis it would be greatly beneficial.

with my soon approaching trip to alaska, i am getting a little worried about the durability of her, which explains my research into the kawasaki i have been asking about..

anyhow, thanks in advance.

-newton

1 - 6 of 6 Posts