Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have finally started bobbing my 900 after thinking about the details for over a year. Now a forced licence suspension has given me three months to do it. Though two months have now passed and i have 23 days left to complete it. i have to cut the rear fender struts off, i have made a new rear fender from fibreglass that hugs to tyre. Ive bought 1/2 in round bar to make a 2 foot high sissy bar and lugs to mount it to the swingarm. i have bought a seat pan off ebay (9 months ago). Gotta mount that, but without springs, to keep it as low to the frame as possible. My neighbour is gunna polish my solid rear wheel first, then maybe the front too. So a little bit more work involved, but im on holidays till the 6th of january. I've built this bike a thousand times in my head already, just gotta convert those thoughts for real now.

View attachment 33294

View attachment 33295

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sweet! Can't wait to see the finished product. This is something I've wanted to do for some time.
Yeah like i said earlier, I've wanted to do this for over a year. More like nearly 2 years (march 2008) i bought the bike new and hated the *** end as i hated it in march 07 when i bought my new Z1000. Its just taken me this long to get motivated and the money (got married november 08, daughter arrived june 09) so been a little busy. It's all go now. i've just gee'd myself up enough that im going to shed now and do some drinking and maybe some work.:biggrin:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This should be interesting keep us posted.
well its now 3.20am and i went down stairs at 4pm yesterday to get started. my mate came over to help and we took off three unused brackets and drank half a case of beer, half a case of bourban and coke and half a bottle of wild turkey bouban. So im nicely toasted now and nothing really got done. But we talked about a lot of cr*p. this dealine is looming bad. :eek:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am unsure about cutting of the rear fender struts. from the photo's on Ebay's 900 bobber it looks like he completly cut them off where the were welded to the frame (did he then replace the cross brace above the battery) or leave a bit of the strut with the existing cross brace and mount the seat to that. I'm worried removing them completly as it might leave the frame strength a little dubious and i might have problems with the insurance company. Has anyone had this issue and what did you do about it??

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well it's a new year, but the same old projects just keep going on.
i'll add a few photo's of the progress i have made over the last few day's
1st photo is my very limited work space.
View attachment 33369

2nd photo is the inside of the fibre glass guard. To make the guard i wrapped the rear wheel in heavy plastic, then wrapped tape arround it to make it smooth. Then used 4 layers of fibre glass over that. Once its dried well i marked the size i wanted for the guard and trimmed around the lines. It took me many nights/ weeks to get the top smooth, sand, body filler, sand, body filler. i couldn't get rid a ripple down the centre of the guard and it was ****ing me off. I ended up stripping it back to bare fribreglass and had a friend come over (he is a panel beater) and he was done in an hour and a half and it is near perfect. I really wanted to do it myself, but was making any progress. oh well done now. Underneath the fender I bolted some steel strips for extra strength especially where there is to be attchments, Then i fibreglassed over the steel. Not much will break this fender.
View attachment 33370

This shows the top of the fender. you can see the 3 bolts holding the steel strapping underneath. this will be where taillight will bolt.
View attachment 33371

this shows the table i used to mark out the sissy bar and heated it on to bend around bolts to get the right shape. I'm not sure on this sissy bar, it hasn't grown on me. I'm going to go now and make some struts out of aluminiium flat bar instead and see what i can come up with.

View attachment 33372

I'm thinking this is going to turn out more like a hot rod bike, rather than a bobber. Well i guess we will both have to wait and see. Ive now only got 17 days to finish. That post was a bit of a novel. :biggrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Latest update - it's been a while coming

Ok sorry for the lack of updates. We only have my wifes good camera and i dont like taking it downstairs into the garage.
Anyway, it's now at the stage where i can ride it fix any little things as they arrise, and they have already. I've had to make higher brackets for the side struts as they where very close to the tire and when you hit a big bump the head of the bolts holding the struts to the fender would dig a groove into the tire. so i made them about half an inch higher. I have changed the bars, I love these bars but i cant ride it properly and cant get comfortable. I have gone back to my 15 inch apes.
The seat also is uncomfortable and on a 1 hour ride yesterday i got pins and needles in my right foot which has never happened before. So i am currently cutting up the original seat and i'll have to see what i can come up with.
Ill keep you all informed.
Comments would be appreciated.

View attachment 33737

View attachment 33738

View attachment 33739

Attachments

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Uhhh, just in case it doesn't translate right, I like it.

You guys speak English over there, right? I'm not quite sure what it is we speak here in America.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.