Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just put new turn signal lights on my 500r. They are not LED but they start rapid blinking after three of four normal blinks. Is this because the lights are smaller and more efficient than the stock lights? :?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
its because they dont have as much RESISTANCE as the bigger bulbs. the let the flasher open/close quicker thats why you have fast flashing lights. not sure why it takes 4/5 flashes before it starts flashing faster though :?:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Mine did the same when I only had one turn signal plugged in. The first 3 or so blinks was timed right, but after that it exibited the same behavior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In case you're curious, I have a guess as to the reason that it takes a few blinks of the lower resistance blinker before it speeds up:

I think it is because the circuit used to do the blinking if probably some kind of Resistor/Capacitor setup, which for the first few blinks can keep the flash rate even (often an R/C circuit can be used to even out minor spikes in voltage or drops in voltage, almost like a buffer), but after a few times the lower resistance bulbs throw the circuit off enough that it speeds up. I imagine the only way to get rid of this "feature" :) would be to replace the actual blinker circuit, with one more appropriate for the lower resistance bulb(s).

There, at least you know WHY now, heh. 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
rate

the rate of flashing can be returned to normal by purchasing either another flasher for the new circuit or adding a resister in the circuit...these are available from most of the LED sellers in the aftermarket...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
The Flasher

The flasher is what I would change though...No need to add a resistor...if just unplugging and repluging in a new one will do...

·
Registered
5 Posts
The same thing happened to me I put the origianals back on and now the bike will not even start nor will the front light come on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts