Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I don't have my permit yet but will be getting that first thing march (msf course), i have almost no experience on motorcycles, but have raced road bicycles.

Anyway, I have been looking for bikes (500r). Decided on used as I do not wish to finance something i might wreck.

on to the questions:
Would it be ok to buy a bike now? I figure they will be cheaper and I know what I want and I am positive I want to get one.... but more will be avaliable when the eather gets better. Only thing is it will sit in the garage unused for over a month, but most of that will be tooo cold of weather.

what is the protocol for buying a bike, I am going to look at a couple this weekend if all goes well. Should I have it inspected at a kawasaki dealer? How many miles are too many for a 500r.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks in advance.

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Hi there and Welcome!

I'm not familiar with the 500r but I think I can offer a few pointers.

In my opinion....it's never a bad time to "look" for at motorcycles...other than when weather prevents us from riding them. I think you can still enjoy a motorcycle even while it's parked in your garage and you can tinker with it.

As far as buying a bike now....I would say if you find one at a decent price then by all means go ahead and buy it. But...keep in mind that you'll want to be able to test ride it so you can determine that it runs and handles as it should. If you do not feel confident doing this yourself....then have someone who knows motorcycles go with you and let them do the testing and mechanical checks for you.

I personally enjoy going out to the garage and tinkering with my motorcycles. While we wait out the crummy winter weather for me it's a pleasure to look things over and fix whatever needs fixing and just spend time getting to know as much as I can about them. Buying a manual will also be something you'll want to think about as it will help you become familiar with all aspects and specs of the bike you decide to buy.

As you said....taking the MSF course will be starting off on the right foot so when you do begin riding you'll know how to ride and not get into trouble right off the bat.

Good luck on whatever you buy and be sure to return here as many good people will gladly help you with questions you may have.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Venom711,

Let me be the second person to welcome you to the forum....whistle beat me to the punch this time :grin: :grin: :grin:

Also go up on internet and look at used bikes...EBay, Cycle Trader, etc....this will give you a good idea on how much what you want is going for. There are some bikes for sale here too.....

I bought my 2 Kawi's from EBay and both were a steal.....If you are patient you can definitely find good deals.... Whistle is right about taking someone who knows bikes with you to shop. There are plenty of people up here that can answer any questions. The fact that you are up here asking questions is a positive step in the right direction.

Welcome to the forum....have fun shopping and send us a pic of you and the bike when you do get it.

Heather

Heather

·
Super Moderator
10,914 Posts
From one newbe to another.....Welcome! You will find some great advice from many people here. Mine is this: if you can't take it for a ride, at least insist on sitting on it. You can get a feel for the size and shape, balance and height. If it doesn't "feel" right, it won't be. Do NOT get caught up with the color, or the stripes, or the glittery parts- they have nothing to do with SAFELY riding your first bike (chances are you will dent and scratch it up anyway as you learn). That comes later when you have a job, and can afford the insurance. Also check on insurance costs, safety gear costs, rain gear costs, routine maintenance costs, and desired bike accessory costs. So many times I've seen people start a new 'hobby' and not really investigate the costs, and end up selling the bike or boat or jet ski. Be informed, ask lots and lots of questions, and then ask more. Sorry if I sound like a stick-in-the-mud, but I surely don't want you to be sidelined because you didn't know, and no one told you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks for the quick replies, and keep them coming.

One problem, for the most part I only have two people that would be willing to test ride them, but they are not avaliable when I am. I really do not feel comfortable riding someones elses bike, as you can probly understand. But I figure if i can see it in person and have it inspected at the dealer that is better than going ebay. Is dealer inspection a common practice like it is with cars?

One I hope to look at is on the forum, can ya guess which one lol, seems a bit high but not unreasonable. another is a 03 for $3200, but I do not want to spend that much, though a good deal.

As for costs, I have alotted 1500 for gear and liability insurance, I dont plan on modifying the bike. This bike will never see rain unless I get caught in it, and will be garaged for just pleasure use for the first few months. Color and looks are no object, I am buying the used 500 so i can afford the bike I really want later on if all goes well. The 500r looks ok to me, and is a bit small seat height wise, but the same goes for all beginner bikes.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Keep looking and don't give up...the right bike will come along!!!!!! you might try an older bike ...late 90's or so......low mileage, garage kept and owner babied. that is the type of bike you are looking for....

There are lots of the guys up here that are tall....and can tell you about the fit of the bike....what to look for there.

Heather

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
kyhick1 said:
Venom711,

Let me be the second person to welcome you to the forum....whistle beat me to the punch this time :grin: :grin: :grin:

Believe me....this is not easy to do as Heather is very good at being lightning quick to welcome all to the forums here. I'm sure this time will be a rare event. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmm well i guess you are right kyhick. I think i will just maybe look at some bikes this weekend, with little intention to buy (sorry fellow member who is selling your bike). I just need a bit more time to get a feel for the market.

EDIT:
Well so much for this dream until i get my licence, the insurace is more than the bike at most places. Looks like I will have to convince the parents to add a motorcycle on their plan and look for a cheaper bike.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Are you quoting full coverage? You could try liability only and it shouldn't be nearly as bad. Progressive has decent rates for liability only coverage in my experience (but their comprehensive and collision rates stink)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I looked at both liability and comp. Progressive was the cheapest, and state farm said I was probly not going to be able to get insurence with them... and quoted very high.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So was your rate that high for liability only? If so, maybe you might want to look at getting an old cruiser or standard to start with instead of a sportbike. When I was only 21 and in college, I had a Yamaha 650 standard and it cost something like $90 a year to insure with liability only. Hey, a slow motorcycle is much better than no motorcycle!

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
you can also go to www.kbb.com and look for their motorcycle retail price quote thingy. you can look up the brand year and type and get an average price on what a vehicle with "X" amount of mileage should be worth, this would give you a good idea as to what the value of a bike should be.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
welcome to the site venom, sorry to hear about the costs that you weren't expecting to be so high. at least you found out early, hopefully you'll still be able to get something for the beginning of the riding season. as far as taking a used bike to a shop to look at it, i haven't heard of anyone doing that before, so not sure if it is the norm like it is with cars. if you are not comfortable with riding the bike and nobody is around to come with you, at least have the owner ride it around a little and shift some gears so you can see and hear it in operation. it is always better to have someone ride it, but at least if you can hear the motor and tranny operate, that would help.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Congratulations on being informed enough to A: Take the MSF course first, and B: have the patience to try and research something before you buy into it (thats always been a problem with me).

So you want to buy a 500r......

*Find one to test-fit to make sure you are tall enough to get feet on tarmac and work the controls. The 500r has a very high seat. My Fiance' wanted a 500r, but she doesn't have long enough legs :( So she's in the market for a Suzuki Boulevard s40 now.

*Bring an experienced rider with you to inspect any possible used purchases. Many newbies mistakenly think oil around the primary sprocket is a sign of engine trouble, when in fact its just from the chain. They should also be able to find things like problem steering heads, frame cracks, engine seepage, bent rims, et cetera. (not a big concern if you are buying from a reputable dealer).

*Obviously you're concerned about money. Buy a copy of the Clymer or Haynes repair/maintenence manual for the 500r. Become familiar with some of the common maintenece chores you will be doing to avoid paying a shop $50/hr (chain adjusting, oil changes, brake pads, clutch cable tightening, yadda yadda yadda). You can also stop by your local SEARS to get an idea on how much you'll need to spend to get some basic maintenenct tools (Metric socket set, Cycle/4-wheeler lift, torque wrench, robogrips).

*Since the dawn of man, the 500r has been largely unchanged. Your biggest choice will be deciding which year had the color bodywork you like.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am 6'1", the 500r seemed just a bit small, but should be good for a summer. I have all the tools to work on the bike. I found ok insurance prices off my parents insurance plan, so I will be going with that. Though it would be nice to buy now, i have finally come to my senses and will just be waiting a month and a half so i can atually ride what i buy.

Thanks for all the help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts