Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys i bought my first bike yesterday. its an 84 kawasaki gt5x 900. i have a problem. i accidentaly put the steering lock on yesterday and now i cant get it to go off. how do you turn it off??

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
put some spray oik into the key slot- insert key several times and then try to rotate key while turning bars slowely back and forth until the key turns and they unlock.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
kyhick1 said:
put some spray oik into the key slot- insert key several times and then try to rotate key while turning bars slowely back and forth until the key turns and they unlock.
Thats right on the money.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Generally speaking, use graphite, not oil, in a key lock. Oil tends to attract dirt, and you don't want that inside a lock. But when the lock is stuck, oil penetrates better. So use oil this time, but after you get it loose, put a puff of graphite in there, and do it again every once in a while (like every time you change your oil). In time, the oil will be gone, and the graphite will remain.
Curt

·
Registered
49 Posts
re: Key

Hey,

That happened to me when I first got my bike, and I was out so the guy dropped it off at my house and put on the steering lock,..

But if your steering is still locked;

Try to put the key in smoothly till you feel little resistence then try to turn the key out of it, while turning the handlebars a bit, This was the last thing I did before I got it unlocked, unfortunately it was the end of the day by the time I got it unlocked :x

·
Registered
456 Posts
Re: re: Key

That's a good idea. I had a lock that worked that way once. When locks get old, sometimes the key or the lock wears a bit, and it works to push the key all the way in, then pull it out a smidgeon.

At any rate, squirt in some light oil, wiggle the key and the handlebars, and it should come loose.
Curt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts