Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i'm new to bikes, and i'm taking my MSF course in 3 weeks..

they require me to bring my own
-jacket
-helmet
-gloves
-boots

i was wondering, where are some cheap places online to purchase these items..my cousin told me to go to my local bike shop and try out the sizes so i know what to get..and i'm gonna do that in the next week..but i just wanted some cheap places to get some gear..

i dont wanna spend too much considering this is my going to be my first time riding a motorcycle.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Others will chime in with some great places, but I have seen last years Arai helmets on ebay for $200.

Make sure your boots that you do get are over the ankle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep, they require to be over the ankle..

and what are some best brands for the items in each catagory? i heard shoei are excellent for helmets..

·
Registered
99 Posts
Shoei make very comfortable and light helmets, but dont expect to get them cheap! I suggest Scorpion if you can find anyone who sells them. They are comparable to Shoei in comfort and very cheap! Also, both versions of their helmets are Dot and Snell certified!

Jacket - my MSF course just required long sleeves....make sure you check up on that before you commit yourself to too much $$ on gear that you may not use (some people just dont like jackets)

Boots - walmart. Nuff said. Dont get racing boots or any of that junk right now. Any regular $20 boots will work fine for the over the ankle protection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
DrX512 said:
Shoei make very comfortable and light helmets, but dont expect to get them cheap! I suggest Scorpion if you can find anyone who sells them. They are comparable to Shoei in comfort and very cheap! Also, both versions of their helmets are Dot and Snell certified!

Jacket - my MSF course just required long sleeves....make sure you check up on that before you commit yourself to too much $$ on gear that you may not use (some people just dont like jackets)

Boots - walmart. Nuff said. Dont get racing boots or any of that junk right now. Any regular $20 boots will work fine for the over the ankle protection.
they said with the boots, they can't have a heel that are too big..as they will get in the way..

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Helmets - Needs to fit your individual head despite brand name you go with. Better to go with a cheap DOT/Snell helmet that fits good then an expensive one that looks great, but doesn't fit your head type. Some manufacturers make different helmet shells to fit different head types. Round vs elongated etc.

Arai
Shoei
Suomy
AGV

Gloves - There are different levels of protection here and you get what you pay for. You want to find a glove that will give you a compromise of money spent and protection. I researched alot of information before deciding on finding a glove that is made of Kangaroo leather or in areas critical in nature. A glove is better than no glove.

Held - considered by some to be the best gloves out there.
Alpinestars - Different protection levels available. I have the GP Pros and they work real good.

Boots - Look for ankle protection - If you don't have it you'll know why you want it after a crash - even a small one that you hit the ground with. You don't need the top of the line boot that the MotoGP guys wear, but want to level what you spend with protection.

Daytonas - mucho expensive, but considered the best.
Dainese - New boot coming out that has torsion protection for ankle
Sidi - Nice italian boot. Higher price points = more protection - perforated
Oxtar - up and comer in the US. Moderate priced
AlpineStars - Nice boots - they squeak when you walk in them

Jacket - You probably would need two jackets. One for summer and one for winter and fall for comfort. You can take your basic leather jacket and it will give you some protection over the tough guys that wear wife beaters. Again compromise in budget and wanting everything is the key.

Leather
Dainese
Vanson
kushitani

Summer
Dainese
Joe Rocket
Icon
there is another I'm thinking about, but I am sure someone will chime in with their list

Safety does not come cheap. There will be some riders that never have to use their safety gear, but if you do go down that is not the time to be wishing you had spent more on your gear to save you from some road rash or worse.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just took the course here in Los Angeles a few weeks ago.

They provided a helmet if you did not have your own.

You can get leather yard gloves from any gardneing place or get some cheap'o leather driving gloves. Just not cotton.

If you have work boots those will work.

Just wear any jacket with long sleeves.

You will not be doing any stunts during this course. You will be lucky to be in 3rd gear for more than 10 seconds. Although i would error on the side of caution you may not want to go out and buy all this gear and find out that you dont want to ride.

Gear is well worth the money when you do decide to ride but for the course you may want to hold out.

Just my .02c

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
I bought my motorcycle jacket from Wilson's leather for $150.....Its european cut and padded in all the right places and has a removable quilted lining for winter weather use....They sell them online too. You will have an easier time finding one that fits than I did..... smalls are hard to come by.........I had trouble finding one small enough for me.

Heather

1 - 11 of 11 Posts