Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

NEWBIE HERE

1K views 10 replies 11 participants last post by  Bad Company 
#1 ·
Hello i,m a newbie and would like to know if the klr250 is a Good newbie bike? I have a 4000 dollor buget and wan,t a ds! I think and have been Looking at the klr250 since the super sherpa is no longer availible Here in the us. :mrgreen:

#3 ·
DUALSPORT250 said:
Hello i,m a newbie and would like to know if the klr250 is a Good newbie bike? I have a 4000 dollor buget and wan,t a ds! I think and have been Looking at the klr250 since the super sherpa is no longer availible Here in the us. :mrgreen:
Have you considered used? You could get a lot more bike. 8)

#5 ·
Hey Dualsport, I also cant help with your question as I know nothing about the dualsport, but I did want to say welcome. Im sure someone will jump in here soon and give you some good info. Welcome aboard.

#7 ·
Back in 1980 I started as a rank beginner with no motorcycle experience whatsoever on a KL250. I was 16 and it didn't kill me although we took a few tumbles together (low speed and nothing serious), but I also passed my M endorsement a few months later which I still have. A few years later I would have liked to have gotten a larger bike but life circumstances and a critical lack of finances kept me on the 250.

It hasn't run since 1991 and this summer I plan to get it into my garage and begin its revival. I miss that dual-sport even with two KZ streetbikes in the garage.

Also, be aware the KLR250 was replaced by the KLX250s a couple of years ago which has the look of being a more dirt oriented machine than the KLR. If you live near gravel/dirt backroads, a dualsport is loads of fun. Failing that, it still makes for a heckuva urban assault vehicle.

Holy zombie threads, Batman! I just noticed that this an almost four year old thread! :oops:

#11 ·
Welcome aboard! Great to see another dualsporter here! I started back into motorcycles last year with a KLR650. It'd be fine for a street noob, but it was a little much for an off road noob like me. I added a KLR250 to the stable and it's perfect for an off road noob like me. Much lighter than the 650. The only drawback I've found is that it's kickstart only. Not a big deal but I've managed to stall it in some interesting places and an electric start would have made it a little less adventurous. Look around and you'll be able to find a good deal on one. Mine is a 85 with low miles for 1200$.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.