Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beautiful bike and well taken care of.

have a general question:
Are the steering on these real loose from side to side. When i went over everything, all was well and when I got up to 70mph it seemed to be real touchy on anything on the pavement.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.....

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

when say you loose are you talking about loosness in the steering head (like play) or just general squirrelyness at higher speeds-that could have more to do with tires than steering?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tire pressure

I figured it out.

The front tire is supposed to be inflated to 29psi cold. Just got through checking it and it was under 20psi. Stands to reason you are on to something here.

I'll inflate it and give it a ride to see if I can tell any difference. Bet I do.

Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wasn't tire pressure

I think I have a bearing problem in the front wheel.

Any idea of how to disassemble it or point me to a website with pictures?

When I lean right to turn or left, the front wheel feels like binding.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
I'd suggest getting an aftermarket manual, clymer or haynes, they will have lots of detailed pictures for every thing you could possibly need to do to your bike.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I sold this bike in 2005 to a friend who just had to have it, then I bought an 04 Nomad, traded the 04 nomad in on an 08 HD Electra Glide Classic. Traded the HD for a 30 foot year old travel trailer with slideout.

on 12/5/08 I bought this same 96 back cheap......I had told him if he ever wanted to sell it, give me first shot....He did and I bought it.

he only put 4k miles on it. and still looks as good as when it left me.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I sold this bike in 2005 to a friend who just had to have it, then I bought an 04 Nomad, traded the 04 nomad in on an 08 HD Electra Glide Classic. Traded the HD for a 30 foot year old travel trailer with slideout.

on 12/5/08 I bought this same 96 back cheap......I had told him if he ever wanted to sell it, give me first shot....He did and I bought it.

he only put 4k miles on it. and still looks as good as when it left me.
Welcome, hope you are enjoying your bike again.

·
Banned
333 Posts
loosen up the axle nut first, lift bike up. loosen allen bolt in right side lower leg, remove axle, remove wheel. may help to remove brake caliper also. kinda tight fit on the 16" wheel. be mindful of which spacer goes to which side. brake side spacer should be the shorter of the two.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts